Saturday 17 December 2011

My New-ish Music Obsessions

Lately, I've been on some rather interesting musical kicks. As for how new, or how old some of the stuff I've been listening to lately is, I have no idea, but they're new enough for me.

One of the bands I can't seem to get enough of as of late is the Asteroids Galaxy Tour. I have a television commercial to blame for that. If you've ever seen the Heineken commercial where they guy comes in making a grand entrance, doing everything from drawing an imaginary pistol, to some fancy martial arts, the band singing in the background is the Asteroids Galaxy Tour ("I wish I lived in the golden age, giving it up on the broadway stage..."

Certainly, "The Golden Age" is a great song, but that's not the one that I've been listening to non-stop lately. If you've heard of Men Without Hats, then you've definitely heard their song, "The Safety Dance." Well, the Asteroids Galaxy Tour did a cover of said song, and quite frankly, I love it more than the original!

I seriously don't know if I have the right word in my arsenal of vocabulary to describe how much I enjoy Mette Lindbergh.

I have Google Reader, and one of the sites I subscribe to is called The Awesomer. Because of The Awesomer, I discovered 2Cellos (Sulic and Hauser). Their big break-out was their cover of Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal." After that, I found their version of, "Welcome to the Jungle," and, "Smells Like Teen Spirit." All, by the way, are awesome.

2Cellos covered a song called, "Hurt." I had no idea who did that song, but I thought it was beautiful, raw, awesome. Basically, what music is supposed to be. Don't I find out that Nine Inch Nails (who aren't exactly classical or quiet) did this song. I couldn't believe it. So if you're familiar with NIN's version, but not Sulic and Hauser's, give this a listen.

If you didn't feel anything listening to their version, you are clearly void of all musical emotion.

Last, is a song I heard for the first time earlier this week. Once again, a television commercial is to blame. I saw this commercial for some perfume called J'Adore. Charlize Theron's in it, and the song that was used was just epic in so many ways. At first, my mum and I thought that perhaps the vocalist was Dolly Parton, as the tone was about as close as damn is to swearing. Turns out, we were wrong.

I'd heard of Gossip, but I'd never heard any of their stuff. Turns out, their song, "Heavy Cross" was the one used. I've become addicted to it. But what can I say? Beth Ditto's a powerhouse, or at least in my mind.

Yeah, Ditto's definitely about as opposite of Dolly Parton as you can get, but she does sound a bit similar.

So there you have them, my current musical addictions. If you've never heard of any of these artists, then I hope I've broadened your musical horizons. If you already knew who these musicians were, shame on you for holding out on me.

No comments: