Sunday 21 April 2013

Waving to the I.S.S

Unless you've been living under a rock, Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield has spent many months living aboard the International Space Station. He sends frequent updates to his Twitter and Facebook and last night's featured area, before he tucked himself into bed, was Southern Ontario in all its lake and Canadian Shield glory. He also made mention of when the I.S.S would be passing over my part of the world. So, naturally, at 9:02 last night, my mum and I went out side to wave to the Commander as he and his crew passed overhead.

The I.S.S moved faster than a star, but slower than an aircraft, or so it appeared from my vantage point. Distance-wise, it was a couple of fists above the horizon, and looked like it was gliding by. I had my phone outside with me, and as he was passing above (which took a few minutes to do), I sent him a Tweet while my mum and I waved, sending him greetings from Southern Ontario, his evening's feature. So if you're checking out Chris Hadfield's Twitter feed, and see one from @ChantelleTillyW, that was me!

Yes, I know the dork factor was off the charts, waving to a light passing through space while sending Twitter messages, but you know what? It was kind of awesome. We should all wave to the coolest Canadian who's out of this world once in a while.

No comments: