Tuesday 27 September 2011

Hakuna Matata

So I'm going slightly off my original intent because I just had to say something about The Lion King. I went to see it this evening with one of my best friends. He's always been a Disney fan from the start. As for me, not so much. Generally, Disney movies annoy me to no end, but I just had to go see The Lion King. I remember seeing it in theatres when it came out the first time (in 1994). My mum took me. That was when Limeridge Mall still had a movie theatre. I remember feeling happy, sad, laughing, and crying. I even remember an Alannah Miles song playing on the radio on the drive home. Strange how sometimes you remember the smallest, most insignificant details. Tonight, for an hour and a half, I got to be the seven-year-old child again, reliving the magic of a savannah tale. I'll be honest with you. I knew that I was going to shed tears. Two words: Mufasa's death. I also expected to cry when he came back to Simba as that clouded vision. I could also feel my eyes well up when Simba was caught in the midst of the stampede as I knew what was coming. What I didn't expect was to start getting all weepy within half a second of the sun rising and the "Circle of Life" playing at the very beginning of the movie. I blame getting all nostalgic. All the tears aside, I was reminded of how amazing it was. A great story, beautiful artwork, and the climax between Simba and Scar is pretty unforgettable. Know who else is hard to forget? Timon and Pumbaa. I couldn't help but find myself singing along to "Hakuna Matata" in the theatre this evening. In the end, I relieved my childhood with one of the most incredible movies of all time (I'd read somewhere that it was Disney's greatest grossing movie, and it's easy to see why). Hakuna Matata! To be a child again.


Have something to say, but don't know the words? Fear no more! I'll make it write.

No comments: