Sunday 12 August 2012

Another Olympics Over

As of earlier this evening, the 2012 Olympic Summer Games from London, England came to a close. But, all good things must come to an end. If they didn't they wouldn't be special. With that said, I eagerly watched the Closing Ceremonies. The closing didn't excite me as much as the Opening Ceremonies 17 days ago, but there were moments that I absoloutely loved, and those are the moments that I've decided to share with you. 

Christine Sinclair was Canada's flag bearer for the Closing Ceremonies. For those who don't know who she is, Christine Sinclair is the captain of Canada's women's socccer team. She lead this wonderful country of mine to a bronze medal against the French (we would have been in the gold medal game, but the American soccer team had help from the referee. Yes, it was a conspiracy that had Canadians in an uproar, but a well-earned bronze is better than an undeserved gold). Sinclair's smile was huge, and she was the perfect choice to represent Canada, and carry our flag.

For the only time that I can think of in my life, I was actually looking forward to seeing the Spice Girls. I must confess that I was never really a fan of theirs. They were huge in the nineties (when I was in elementary school), so I suppose I was looking forward to them just to relive a wee bit of my childhood.

I started to squeal with joy when Eric Idle of Monty Python fame appeared out of a misfired cannon, and did the always-hilarious "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life." I am a huge Monty Python fan, so when he appeared on the screen in all his Python glory, I was ecstatic. The only way the sketch would have been better is if all the remaining Monty Python members were taking part (except for Graham Chapman who died back in 1989).

The lead-in to Queen was amazing. Freddie Mercury, who was the lead vocalist for Queen until his death from AIDS in 1991, was still at the closing in a rather creative manner. These screens popped up in the middle of the stage, and there was Freddie, in all his glory, doing his traditional vocal warm-ups where the audience gets involved. And yes, I knew every note as he hit it before the crowd followed suit. If only the closing ceremony organizers could have kept this Freddie incorporation throughout all of Queen's piece. We viewers had to suffer with Jessie J filling in for the late Freddie (for the record, Jessie J didn't even compare and really wasn't any good), but thankfully, Brain May, Queen's fantastic guitarist, made up for it.

And last, I very much enjoyed The Who closing out the show. They may be geezers, but they still know how to rock and roll.

Now all I have to do is wait until 2014 when the Winter Olympics will be hosted in Socchi, Russia. Long live the Olympics, and great job to Canada's athletes.

No comments: