Saturday 25 August 2012

Most Excel-ent

I'm one of the first to admit that my computer abilities are less than stellar. Sure, I can type up an essay, send an email, or create a blog post, but overall, I'm no computer techie. Of course, with the wonderful world of Google at my fingertips, everything I could ever need to know about anything is within my grasp (even though I'm rather old fashioned, and would rather have a book in front of me. Computers can crash, internet connections can fritz, and sure, I could look stuff up on my phone, but if it's dead, and I don't have a charger, I'm in a wee bit of a bind... Unless I have a book. Books will never fail me).

Well, I have an interview coming up in a few days, and I needed to brush up on some of my (lacking) computer skills. I can do the most basic of basic things, but that's about the brunt of it with most stuff. So when I was told that I need to be familiar with Microsoft Excel, a, "well hell" moment presented itself.

Though I planned on purchasing Microsoft Excel 2007 for Dummies, I went to good ol' Google in search of assistance. What I found was a free online training site, put together by Microsoft, for technologically inferior souls, such as myself. I was amazed at how useful and helpful it was. I was expecting some beat-around-the-bush confusion, not individual lessons complete with practice sessions and tests (the tests aren't scored or recorded). I've learned about creating formulas, how to create a vast array of charts, even what a pivot table is, and how to create them. I realize that such things are probably elementary for most people my age, but for someone such as myself, I was left feeling like I'd have a fighting chance at properly using a required program.

The site isn't just for Excel, but for all Microsoft Office programs. So if you're like me, and have limited knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, follow the link at the end of this post, and perhaps you as well will (almost) feel like a pro.

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/beginner-s-training-for-office-2007-HA010270562.aspx

No comments: