Wednesday 1 August 2012

Row, Row, Row Your Boat

I woke up this morning to the wonderful news that Canada won a silver medal in rowing (men's 8). I'm sorry I missed the event, but at least it'll be replayed later, and I can catch the excitement for the first time today.

I've always been a fan of the rowing. When I was younger, I'd watch the Olympics, and think to myself just what sport I would want to do if someone came to said that if I did one, I could go compete. Though I love the diving and beach volleyball, I'd want to row. It looks like hard work, but it looks like it'd be fun, all at the same time.

My mum was the one who gave me the news about our rowing men this morning. There was another interesting piece she told me. A small piece was shown earlier about Brian Price, who's the Coxwain for the Canadian men. He'd said that he had leukemia when he was a child. His thyroid was affected, and his growth stunted as a result. However, he says that if it wasn't for leukemia, he wouldn't be a coxwain, and if he wasn't a coxwain, he wouldn't be an Olympian. Considering my 9 year old cousin is also a leukemia survivor, this is an awesome outlook.

Not only did the Canadian men win a silver for Canada, but for those with child cancer, Brian Price may have just reminded them that the going may be tough now, but that they all have the potential to do great things later. That attitude and lesson is just as awesome as the silver medal.

Wonderful, simply wonderful.

No comments: