Sunday 19 August 2012

Feel the Summer Fading

I wandered behind the barn today,
To the edge of the bean-filled field.
Towards the middle, out of the way,
In amongst the yield,
Has started a patch of yellow,
Surrounded by leaves of green,
Much more calm and mellow
Amongst the vibrant sheen.

The walnut trees feel the same.
Some leaves are turning gold.
Going away as soon as they came
Since the nights are turning cold.
Despite the days being warm and nice,
Which very soon will go,
As both day and night will be cold like ice,
On the breeze the yellow will blow.

But still, I hear crickets chirp,
Cicadas on the breeze,
While squirrels and chipmunks burp
Up walnuts as they please
To stash away for winter,
Like they do every year.
Under grass and dirt and splinter,
They sense the end is near.

The days are getting shorter.
There's less daylight to be had.
If only longer you could order,
Many would be glad.
And though I love the fall,
In all its colourful splendor,
My summer list, I've not done it all.
I still have many an endeavour.

But soon, the heat will end,
And the harvest will begin.
Kids back to school, the parents will send
Just as the tractors come on in
To bring in this year's bounty,
Then I'll know the summer is gone.
It'll be felt across the county.
The summer and harvest will be done.

But I still have much I want to do,
Like spend another day at the beach
And get in some more bike rides too,
And enjoy another summer peach.
I want to have another bonfire
Before I bid the summer goodbye.
It's coming down to the wire.
May I please see one last firefly?

I must say I'll miss the summer,
Despite my dislike for heat.
That it's almost done is a bummer,
Like a seasonal defeat.
Though I will not miss
The mosquitoes that bite my nose,
The rest has been a bliss.
Away the summer goes.

No comments: