Saturday 5 November 2011

11 Days of Remembrance: A Litany of Literature

We all know that an abundance of books on the subject of war have been published, high school and post-secondary textbooks excluded. For me, there are few pieces of literature that stand out, including poetry. Yes, I realize that poetry comes with a plethora of stereotypes, but there really are a few pieces that are worth mentioning. I'll start with the one that we all know.

I have a book of poetry that was written by a Canadian soldier during the First World War. Does this man look familiar to you?

The man in the photograph is John McCrae, who's best known for his poem, "In Flanders Fields." It's also the title of a poetry anthology that was copyrighted in 1919, even though McCrae died on January 28, 1918 at the age of 45. What's interesting, though, is the copy of the title poem at the front of the book:

Facsimile of an autograph copy of the poem "In Flanders Fields." This was probably written from memory, as "grow" is used in place of "blow" in the first line.


I've read some of the other poems in this book. The man had talent. They're not quite the same caliber as "In Flanders Fields," but they are still very well done.

There's another piece of poetry that speaks all too true as well about the horrors of war. Though I realize that the battle being referred to was the Battle of Balaclava, on October 25, 1854 during the Crimean War  between the Brits and the Russians, the words you read apply to pretty much every war, and battle that you can think of. If you've heard of Alfred Lord Tennyson, then you know that the piece I'm referring to is the "Charge of the Light Brigade," especially the lines:

"Storm'd at with shot and shell, 
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell,
Rode the 600."

When I was a cadet, we would partake in Remembrance Day services, and though "In Flanders Fields" was always read, there was one that was of significance to those who had a love of aviation. It was written by Pilot Officer John Gillespie Magee, Jr. in 1941.

P.O Magee was born in Shanghai to American parents and flew in the Royal Canadian Air Force. I know. Quite the combination. He was killed in action on December 11, 1941 at the age of 19. Before he died, though, he wrote the poem "High Flight," which holds a special place in my heart. If you've read my post "The Graves of St. Paul's," you will have seen part of it:

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds- and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of- wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up, the long, delirious, burning blue,
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew-
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod,
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

Along with poetry, though, there are also a few books that are of importance. I've read a couple, the other I've heard of, but have yet to read. The first is Fighting in Flanders.

 I've never read this one, but I believe my mother has. At the very least, she has a copy of it. It is on the list of literature that I ought to read. I can honestly say, though, that I like the simplicity of how that photo was set up. It brings everything full circle, doesn't it?

I also read The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane back in the eighth grade. Yes, I know it's about the American Civil War, but work with me here people. I don't remember much about it, other than there was some pretty serious gore in some parts. How is that different than any other war that's been fought?

Last on the literature list is No Time for Sergeants by Mac Hyman.

Hyman's novel brings forth the lighter side of war. By no means am I saying that this book is a mockery. It's a way to make people laugh instead of cry, unless they're tears of joy from laughing so hard. No Time for Sergeants truly is a fantastic book about a couple of friends who want so badly to be in the infantry (where all the action is), but are sent to the Air Force instead.

Not all military literature has to be factual to the point that it's worthy of your high school history class, nor does everything have to involve bloodshed, and depression. Some pieces, such as "High Flight" have a calming effect. Others, like Hyman's piece, can cause a person to laugh when they would much rather cry. And pieces like "In Flanders Fields" are guaranteed to make you feel every emotion from the depths of your very soul.

I know I've stated in previous posts that I'm not big on religion, but there is one more piece that I'd like to share. Once again, it's from my time as a cadet. Whenever we'd have our Christmas Mess Dinner, the Squadron Padre would always recite the Airman's Grace. So with that, I leave you with my last piece of literature.

Lord of thunderhead and sky
Who placed in man the will to fly
Who taught his hand speed, skill and grace
To soar beyond man's dwelling place.

You shared with him the eagles view
The right to soar as eagles do  
The right to call the clouds his home
And grateful through the heavens roam.

May all assembled here tonight
And all who love the thrill of flight
Recall with twofold gratitude
Your gift of wings, your gift of food.

For more on the subject, refer to the other posts in my 11 Days of Remembrance series.

To view Tennyson's "Charge of the Light Brigade" in full, refer to the following link:

To view McCrae's "In Flanders Fields," refer to the following link:

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Another Great Job Tilly :)

Chantelle (Tilly) Wark said...

Thank you, Momma Goose. :)