Thursday 10 November 2011

The People of Montana's

I promised some wonderful people at the Montana's on Paramount that I would write a spiel on how much fun and fantastic they are. What can I say? They had me laughing so many times tonight, I lost count. So what possessed me to go there in the first place, you ask? Well, I shall tell you.

Omar called me (on speaker phone, so he could drive hands-free) on his way home from work, asking me if I was in the mood to go out for food tonight. Given my other dinner option, I was all for the idea. So, no more than 20-30 minutes later, I picked him up, and after minimal deliberation, we decided on Montana's. Not going to lie, more often than not, that's where we end up. The one we go to always has excellent food, and you can't beat the service. Don't worry, I'll elaborate in a moment.

So we get there, and the Montana's equivilant of a Maitre D' got the two of us seated, and told us that our server would arrive in a moment. A minute or so later, our server, Tim, came over, and got us taken care of right off the bat. We've had him once before. He's pretty good. A couple of minutes later, one of the girls we've had a few times in the past, Courtney, wanders over, all bubbly and happy, telling us how great it was to see us again (Yeah, Omar and I go there a lot...). Tim returned, and as he was taking our orders, Mercedes wanders through, all in a most entertaining huff that we sat in Tim's section of the restaraunt, and not hers.

Sidebar, before I forget, Mercedes wanted a piece dedicated soley to her (actually, she wanted the entire post to be about her, wth the bits about everyone else in a microscopic font in a colour that would match the background), so here it is:

Ode to Mercedes
Mercedes, Mercedes,  you're the best.
Mercedes, Mercedes, better than the best.
Mercedes, Mercedes, you're the bomb.
Mercedes, Mercedes, you can't go wrong.
Mercedes, Mercedes, so much fun.
Mercedes, Mercedes, your ode is done.

So now Tim's wandered off, and Mercedes returns, and sits next to me. I don't even remember what went on, but next thing, Jen, one of the other servers, wanders through, with a similar no-fair-Tim-has-us-and-not-her attitude as well.

I know, I know, you're probably thinking I'm rather odd, having memorized the names of those who've served me, but seriously, if you had them, you'd know that they're hard to forget. You're also, more than likely, thinking that the staff are equally strange for pretty well knowing us too (whether or not they know us by name is beyond me, but they know us enough to be jealous when they don't have us sitting in their section). But seriously, this is how much fun, and how awesome they are:

The first time I had Mercedes, she was doing the YMCA. The next time I went in, and I believe I was with Omar that time, she'd found Jen and Courtney to do it with her should it come back on. She was pumped, and rip-rarin' to go, even though she, tragically, didn't have a fourth person to finish out the lettering.

The last time I had Jen, I was with Omar, and she wanted so badly to bring us a deck of cards, but she couldn't find any. She was sad that she couldn't find them because she didn't want to disappoint us. But, she was just such a fun personality that it didn't matter, which made up for it.

Courtney was awesome enough to bring Omar and I fresh crayons in every colour. She loved the table colouring we did, especially since we gave a shout-out to her. She wanted to keep the art piece, but I don't know if it happened. Still, though, she earned awesome points because she brought us crayons!

Last, we have Tim. Don't let the quietness of that guy fool you. Once he gets going, you will not be able to stop laughing. I couldn't tell you how long he and Mercedes kept on coming back to our table to hang out. He kept telling us how much trouble we were in for sitting in his area instead. He's hilarious! So much fun.

I know you're probably thinking to yourself, "shouldn't they have been working?" Well, the place wasn't dead, but all was quiet enough that they were able to kill a bit of time. As well, should they have been given a hard time, Omar and I were all set to tell the boss that the staff was merely positively enhancing our dining experience. So there.

I suppose I ought to at least give my two cents on the food. Omar loves every single thing he gets. He's never had a bad meal. I'm addicted to their garlic bread and brisket, though I decided to try the beer battered fish tonight. Neither will disappoint you.

Over all, you can tell the people at Montana's enjoy their job. It's contagious. Their good spirits just seem to make the rounds. Also, we knew it was a good place when Tim kept telling us how much he likes his job. I suppose working in the food industry can go either way, and in the case of these fantastic four, the way is in their favour.

There's a reason why we keep going back. They food is fantastic, and you really couldn't ask for a better bunch of people to serve you.

Thanks, Montana's people. You're all awesome!

No comments: