Wednesday 2 November 2011

11 Days of Remembrance: The Highway of Heroes

I can't believe I almost forgot to write the next segment for my 11 Days of Remembrance mini-series. Luckily, I remembered before the night was through.

Music is likely the last thing to come to mind with regards to Remembrance Day. Then again, I doubt the average person would go looking for lyrics that pertain to war, and that's perfectly understandable. Perhaps there's the fear of glorifying something so terrible. However, I can assure you that such is not always the case. There are a few songs in particular that stick with me, especially in November, and the messages they contain ring true. For instance, I'll start with "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda". The first version I ever heard was by John McDermott, and though that one is quite good, the one that leaves the greatest impact on me is the version done by The Pogues. The line that rings true, and breaks my heart, is when they sing, "someday no one will march there at all."

Here's The Pogues singing "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda":


The next song that always sticks with me is, "The Green Fields of France." Once again, the first version I ever heard was done by John McDermott. Actually, you can find "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" and "Green Fields of France" on his C.D's Danny Boy, and If Ye Break Faith. They'll all induce thought, and make you remember the importance of remembering every battle that this world participated in. Like, "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda," "Green Fields of France" speaks much too true about the horrors of war. The vocalist takes on the persona of a person who's visiting the grave of Willie McBride, who was killed in 1916 at the age of 19. As to whether or not Willie McBride was a real person, I do not know, but looking online, there were multiple people named, "Willie McBride," and many with the name, "W. McBride," but whether any of them is the one mentioned in the song has been left up for debate. What we all know for certain, though, is that far too many people were killed, especially young men, in the name of war. The Dropkick Murphys, who are usually a musical hyperbole, do an incredible cover of "Green Fields of France." The chorus, sung to Willie McBride, is always what stands out for me with this song,

"Did they beat the drums slowly?
Did they play the fife lowly?
Did they play the death march as they lowered you down?
Did the band play the Last Post in chorus?
Did the pipes play the Flowers of the Forest?"

Here's The Dropkick Murphys' version of "Green Fields of France."


Last, but never least, is a more modern song, an original, done by Canadian band The Trews. The Trews, who are from Antigonish, Nova Scotia, wrote the song "Highway of Heroes" after Canadian Captain Nichola Goddard was killed in Afgahnistan on May 17, 2006 at the age of 26. She was the first Canadian female killed in Kandahar, and she was also from The Trews' home town. I can listen to "Highway of Heroes,"and shed a tear or two, but whenever I watch the video, I break down, every single time, especially when the pipes and drums start to play. I realize the song isn't about the First or Second World Wars, but she died trying to bring people in a less fortunate part of the world a freedom that we are fortunate enough to have obtained many decades ago. As well, a friend of mine, who was also my cadet superior, did a tour himself in Afghanistan. He left his wife and young daughter in Canada for 8 months, while he went to Kandahar, and did what was required of him. He's home and safe now, and has been for a while, but every time I'd hear that another one of our boys (or girls) was killed overseas, I'd always hope it wasn't him. Though I don't like to name-drop, I will this time: Geoff, we're glad you returned home safe and sound. I'm certain the citizens in that unfortunate part of the world are grateful for what you did for them. It is for these reasons that I include "Highway of Heroes." The Trews really bring everything full circle. I've never lined the Highway of Heroes myself, and I always hope that people will never have to line it again.

And now, The Trews, "Highway of Heroes."


May we never forget all of our heroes, past, present, and any who have yet to come (though I will always proudly support my country's military, I hope there never has to be another war). Thank you to all of them.

For more, refer to the other posts, previous, and (mainly) still to come, in my 11 Days of Remembrance series. Videos compliments of Youtube.

No comments: