Tuesday 8 November 2011

Could You Be More Disrespectful?

Since the beginning of the month, I've been hearing about petty theives who have been hell-bent on stealing poppy boxes. Seriously, people? Who decides to stoop to such a low level of disrespect? As if theiving wasn't bad enough, these ingrates go and steal from veterans. Veterans! The people who are responsible for giving us all the ability to live freely, safely, without fear, and how do these criminals say thank you? They go and swipe the poppy boxes from various businesses. That's disgusting.

Another thing that royally irks me with regards to disrespectful people is the treatment of poppies. When I was in elementary school, some of my classmates, usually the boys, would remove the pin and the centre, flip the flower, and make them glorified lips. Yes, we were taught the reasons why we wear poppies, but they didn't care. Though I suppose there are worse things to worry about, I still found that to be rude, and I still do. However, I can't help but wonder which is more disrespectful: treating a poppy as a cheap costume piece, or not wearing one at all?

As well, I hate finding poppies on the ground, though that can't always be helped. We've all had them fall off our coats, myself included. I mean, I've had that happen to me twice already. Unless the people swiping the poppy boxes are tossing them by the wayside. Then I become incensed instead of sad.

I've had enough with people stealing the poppy boxes, and I've had it with people being disrespectful of the poppies themselves. That's not how you thank a veteran.

No comments: