Tuesday 6 March 2012

Review: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

The last time I read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, I was probably about ten years old. I remembered the story being awesome, and it seemed like an eternity was required to get through it. Fast forward fourteen years, and I plowed through the novel in a matter of hours. It was so much shorter than I remember, however, it was still awesome. That part remained the same.

The story era is WWII, and the Pevensie children are sent away from London, due to the bombings, to live with a mysterious, yet wonderful, Professor in a large, adventure-worthy house. When Lucy, the youngest of the four children, goes to hide herself in an old wardrobe full of fur coats during a game of Hide and Seek, she finds herself in the magical land of Narnia. Though Lucy's away for many hours, only a moment had passed when she returned to her English world. Naturally, her siblings Perter, Susan, and Edmund think she's daft, but the Professor doesn't think so...

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe contains everything that not only a good fantasy requires, but what a good book in any genre ought to have as well (with a few modifications on key components). There's adventure, meeting strange, magical creatures, epic battles, and the curiosity of who will triumph: Aslan, the great lion, and King of Narnia, or the evil White Witch who (to paraphrase) has made Narnia always winter, but never Christmas.

This book was simple, sweet, and charming. I loved it when I read it the first time, and I loved it again when I read it a few days ago.

No comments: