Monday 3 September 2012

Final Classic at Ivor Wynne

Anyone who follows the CFL knows that today's the Labour Day Classic, starting with the Battle of Ontario, and ending with the Battle of Alberta. However, if you don't follow the Canadian Football League, you likely have no idea what I'm talking about, especially if you're not Canadian.

For as long as I can remember, every Labour Day Monday, the CFL has a football double header where the four teams playing are always the Hamilton Tiger-Cats versus the Toronto Argonauts (Ontario), and the Edmonton Eskimos play against the Calgary Stampeders (Alberta). I'm not sure if Alberta has a traditional playing field, but in Ontario, the Ti-Cats ALWAYS host the Argos at Ivor Wynne Stadium. However, next year, the Classic turf will change as this is Ivor Wynne's final year. It's not the most glamourous or glorious stadium, but it's the only stadium many Cats fans have ever known.

So to those who will be participating in this Labour Day tradition, either in person, or on TSN at one o'clock this afternoon, cherish Ivor Wynne's final Classic. I know I will, and I'll be cheering on the Cats in the process.


And now I leave you all with the Ti-Cat cheer:

Oskee wee wee!

2 comments:

Mary said...

IT could be worse, it could be whatever farce they tried to do last year with the Ti Cats vs. Alouettes. What the heck was that??

Mary said...

Also, my mom was a Tiger Cat Majorette (baton twirler) in the 50's. How cool is that?? She has these great vintage fun fur tigerpants...