Tuesday 4 October 2011

Cherry Coke

Have you ever had something that you love beyond belief, only to have it disappear on you? I'm fairly certain that the answer would be yes. This has happened to all of us at some point, whether we want to admit it or not. For me, the two food-related things that I love and have missed dearly are Cherry Coke, and Jelly Tots... Until now! Well, sort of.

As I stated in the previous post, I spent my morning at yet another career workshop (don't judge me! They're free, and are really quite useful!). Break arrived, and I was feeling parched, so I wandered next door to the convenience store to grab a drink. I was about to grab a Grape Crush when I saw it: Cherry Coke! I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if the heavens opened up, and a bright beam of light landed upon the beverage while angels sang in the background. For the record, I was in such a state of shock and awe that I really wouldn't have noticed. Now, you need to realize that I had experienced this wonderful taste sensation for the first time when I visited England as a child. Cherry Coke came in these adorable, little cans that were the perfect size for kids, and had a wild, crazy pattern all over them. After that, I had seen it here at home in Canada, and then many years ago, it just seemed to disappear off Canadian shelves. Yes, this made me sad. It's not only my favourite pop, but in my mind, it's the best drink in the universe! Yes, I know this likely makes me worthy of mockery, but that doesn't phase me by any means. I hadn't had this wonderful product for a very long time until last year. My dad was coming home from a Geek Convention in the States, and he brought me home a case for my birthday. So to find it in that little convenience store today at break, well, it was like it was my birthday all over again. And before you ask, yes, I'm pretty sure I squealed with excitement, and maybe did the anxious little kid happy dance on the spot.

As for Jelly Tots, the Bulk Barn sells a similar candy, but it's just not the same. The candies are too big, there aren't enough colours, and they're too soft (unless I'm some weirdo who remembers Jelly Tots being much harder, and maybe borderline stale, than they actually were). But, when I have a hankering, they suffice, even though I'd rather have the real thing. Curse the Corner Store in my village for no longer stocking them, even though it's been more years than I can count since the store last sold any!

Sometimes, the smallest, most insignificant things in life can make us the most happy. The cashier laughed and smiled at me, as she was happy that I was happy to have found my long-lost favourite beverage. If you have something small, like Cherry Coke, that fills you with the same kind of content, you will know exactly what I mean. Now, if I could only find Jelly Tots...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

loved it Tilly...you are so talented!

Chantelle (Tilly) Wark said...

Thank you. :)