Wednesday 26 October 2011

Review: The Rite

Two words: Anthony Hopkins. That was all I needed to hear to make me want to watch The Rite, which I borrowed from the library yesterday, and watched in the dead of last night. Of course, such a film was only appropriate as we're so close to Halloween.

I have a passion for frightening films. Some people don't take too well to fear, however, I love the controlled rush of adrenaline. The Rite didn't disappoint me in either of these aspects. In fact, I'd give it a solid 8/10 for fear. I took off points because I laughed at one point (it was a very dead pan, borderline sarcastic line that caused me to chuckle), I never screamed, and I didn't have a single nightmare as a result. However, the demonic babble, contortions, and elements of surprise did cause me to jump on more than one occasion. As well, for me, Anthony Hopkins is one of the best fear-inducing actors to ever live, and that talent more than speaks for itself (picture Hannibal Lecter. Now imagine Hannibal Lecter being possessed by the devil. I rest my case).

The film starts off with Michael (played by Colin O'Donoghue) deciding to attend seminary school, instead of carrying on with the family business, which is a funeral parlor of sorts. The kicker, though, is that Michael isn't sure what he believes in, especially God, which makes his decision to become a priest more interesting. He tells a friend that the people in his family only have two vocations: caring for the dead, or belonging to the priesthood. At the request of one of his seminary teachers, Michael travels to Rome to study exorcisms. As Michael still has doubts, he is sent to Father Lucas, a rather unorthodox exorcist, who tests the boundaries of beliefs, and fights personal demons himself. Does the student still doubt, and think that there's a scientific explanation, or does he begin to believe? Some of the questions presented, I found I was also asking myself.

We all have our demons. Are they as elaborate as the ones in the film? I suppose the answer to that is all a matter of faith, but I can confidently say that I was left with my fingers on my chin in thought whenever Father Lucas questioned young Michael.

If you enjoy controlled fear, and are a fan of Anthony Hopkins, I am more than certain that you will enjoy The Rite. This film did not disappoint.



If you've not heard of this movie, here's the trailer, compliments of Youtube.


No comments: