Thursday 20 October 2011

Purple Rain

Yes, I realize I used the name of a Prince song for my title, but today, it truly is fitting, especially when you factor in that we had rain for much of today.

I had completely forgot that today was the day to wear purple as a means of raising awareness about bullying, particularly with regards to homophobia. Even though the thought had escaped my mind, I still subconsciously donned a purple hoodie. Some people might call that a coincidence. I say it's kismet.

Bullying isn't something to be taken lightly. According to an article I read on MacLean's online*, Lady Gaga and a couple of politicians are trying to make bullying a criminal offense. That makes sense to me. After all, bullying is a form of harassment, and sometimes abuse or assault. Unfortunately, though, much of the younger crowd rarely refers to bullying as such. They refer to it as drama ("Why must you be so dramatic?" "Why must you cause so much drama?"). I figure I can safely presume that trying to get something that's generally associated with the theatre made into a criminal term and offense would be far from simple, and might even raise a few eyebrows.

As you have likely read, or even heard on the news, there have been far too many suicides with young people as the result of bullying. At the beginning of September, an 11-year-old boy with a physical disability killed himself because he couldn't take anymore torture, and the thought of testifying against his attacker in court terrified him.  I hope the tormentor lives a rotten life that's filled with guilt for what he did. No one deserves that crap. As well, you've also more than likely caught wind that far too many homosexual teens are ending their lives because they can't take the homophobic bullying any longer. The worst I've ever had was bullying by association in high school, and that ended when the guy got suspended, but in comparison to what these other young folk are going through? It doesn't even cut the mustard.

I don't know if this helps or not (I'm not a therapist or councellor by any means), but if you know anyone who's between the ages of twelve and nineteen who wants something that they can confidently belong in where such crap isn't tolerated, I can vouch for joining the Air Cadet program. I was one myself for seven years, and I promise you, there's zero tolerance for b*llsh*t, and if such nonsense began, it was nipped in the bud immediately. Bear in mind, I'm not saying everyone should become a cadet, because such a program isn't for everyone. What I am trying to say is join an extra-curricular organization that allows you to be the best you can be, strive to your fullest potential, and feel like you belong even if it appears that the rest of the world feels otherwise. 

Wear your purple. We might not be able to stop bullying in its entirety, but we can make people more aware. At the very least, we can remind those who have been affected that there are people in this world who do care about them, that we're here to lend an ear, and that we'll dare to stand up to the cruel members of this earth who choose to feel otherwise.

*Attached is the link to MacLean's "Bullying 2.0 is More Like a Drama Class"
http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/10/11/bullying-2-0-is-more-like-a-drama-class/

2 comments:

Tam said...

very well written Tilly and after watching Dr. Phil earlier this week the timing of this couldn't be better. Cudos!

Chantelle (Tilly) Wark said...

I didn't even know Dr. Phil did anything regarding this (but then, I haven't watched his show since high school). One of my facebook peeps had actually posted about purple day on his status, and that's what reminded me about it, and prompted me to write about it. I'm glad that I had good timing.