Monday 17 October 2011

Off the Cuff

Today, as per my weekly standard, I attended Networking Group, which is where a bunch of us who are on the employment prowl gather to discuss who's looking for what, and what someone might have heard of elsewhere. In short, your typical style of networking. We didn't have a session last week since it was Thanksgiving, but we did have group the week before, and as always, I shared whatever it was I had to say. At that group, there was one guy whose son was working at ArcelorMittal Dofasco, where I previously worked as a casual, whose contract was coming due. So I said what I had to say about the mill, where the son has the best odds of being hired full time, what he could expect at whatever point he was with his contract, and so forth. Not only did I work as a casual at Dofasco, and do time as a student, but I was the third generation in my family to be employed there, so I know a few more things than the average Joe. We all went on our ways, and I thought nothing of it, that is until this morning when another group member made mention how he was out doing his thing within the last couple of weeks, and someone he came across had a kid as a casual who was facing the same contract issue that I had talked about at the last networking meeting. This member remembered the off the cuff comment I had made at the previous session, and was able to confidently talk about what I had said. The person with the contract problem was left impressed, the networking member felt quite proud and pleased that he was able to discuss something that he previously had no knowledge of, and I'm thinking it's pretty cool that something I said was put to good use, and able to assist someone else. So to those who used what I said during the last networking meeting, I'm glad I could be of service, and please, feel free to call upon me again. Being useful like that, even in the smallest way, is kind of awesome. 

No comments: