Thursday 20 October 2011

One Good Deed

Those who know me, or who have at the very least read the About Me, understand that I am a firm believer in karma. This belief was tested a few days ago when I went to study and do some homework at Tim Horton's, a haven for students who want minimal distractions.

I arrived, set down my stuff in my favourite seat (yes, I'm a dork with a fave place to sit), and went up to the counter to place my order. Now, please bear in mind that the place was bustling, and the poor girl behind the counter was likely wearing down (I try to think assertively as opposed to making assumptions). So, she called me over, and I placed my order: two muffins and a large french vanilla. My total came to $4.57, so I gave her $4.60. Instead of giving me three cents, she rummaged around in the till, and handed me back a mittful of change. Because my soul is worth more than a few pennies, I informed her of her error. After some slight confusion and a blank stare, everything was figured out and dealt with. As I was taking my stuff, and preparing to leave, she thanked me for being honest.

Sometimes, the simplest act of good comes from a little honesty. Other times, it's surprising someone with flowers, or offering to help take a piece of writing from good to great. To do a single good deed takes no time at all. Take a moment, and do something positive, whether it's for a friend, family memeber, or a complete unknown. It'll do your soul a world of good, and the karma will work in your favour.

No comments: