Sunday 16 October 2011

Antifemme Fable

I was out at Tim Horton's yesterday doing some homework for my Literature for Children course. The unit I was working on was The Folktale. The most famous of these tales were brought forth by two German brothers, Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm. To say that the tales are like their name would be an understatement. Sure, such tales have often left me thinking to myself, "my god, those brothers belong in an asylum," however, that's not exactly what this post is about. Well, not in its entirety anyway. I'll get there in a moment.

Of course, homework comes with questions, and the one that really got my mental muscle flexing was as follows:

Discuss the issues of violence and antifeminism in traditional or folk literature, giving specific examples of each and taking a stand on whether or not these issues "contaminate" folk literature and render it inappropriate for children.

If you've ever read a folk tale a la the Brothers Grimm, then you would know why violence in children's lit would be questioned. For example, I'll use Snow White. The fluffy Disney version that most people are familiar with has the evil stepmother falling off the edge of a cliff in the midst of a thunderstorm. Snow White and her prince live happily ever after. The story ends. Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm's version? Well, the evil stepmother doesn't fall off the edge of a cliff to her doom. Instead, she's invited to Snow White's wedding. Upon the evil stepmother's arrival, she's sentenced to dance to her death in red hot iron slippers. Yeah. I know. Messed up. And that's just a mild tale. If you want something that has a more violent ending, try reading The Goose-Girl:

http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm089.html

However, believe it or not, the issue of violence in children's lit didn't get me going quite as much as the antifeminism part. Perhaps it's because we see so much violence in everything else, like on television and the movies that I didn't feel as phased. Also, as many might likely agree, violence in a story kicks the interest level up a few notches. As for how much a child ought to be exposed to, well, that's best left to the discretion of the parents, or at least until the child understands the difference between right and wrong, and is mature enough to handle such tales.

With regards to the antifeminism, I hate how the majority of folk and fairy tales have the girls being all woe-is-me, helpless, and in dire need of Prince Charming to come along and make everything better. We're all familiar with Cinderella, or at least the really annoying Disney version (ok, so maybe Disney irks me by catering to the pathetic-female whims). Instead of standing up to her stepmother and stepsisters, she allows herself to be trampled upon, used as a slave, and have her self-esteem wiped-out. So, of course, she naturally thinks, "I hope Prince Charming will pick me. Then my life will be perfect." What a bunch of crap. These morals are teaching the readers the wrong lesson, especially to young girls. If you know me, you can probably sense a rant coming on.

I was raised with the mantra, "I don't need no stinkin' man," so when I read about females who require one to be happy? Oh hell no! From a  very young age, I was brought up to think for myself, speak my mind, and that there's more to life than having a guy in it. Don't get me wrong. Having one would be fantastic, however, I've managed to do quite well as a single lady. I'm able to function day to day, and feel secure with myself. Also, I have a very broad set of shoulders, a strong spine, and if you're familiar with my best friend, you'll have heard him say that I have bigger metaphorical balls than most men. Why can't the ladies in these stories be the same. Granted, there are a few exceptions, but not many ("Molly Whuppie" would be one of the few. Yes, she still still marries her prince, but at least she's clever and crafty).

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/eng/eft/eft23.htm

Yes, I know I need to remember not only the context, but the time in which they were written, but still. There had to be a Joan of Arc of sorts in there somewhere (and no, you don't need to remind me how tale ended).

Yes, I suppose I could be considered a feminist of sorts, however, I prefer to think of myself as a realistic one. At least I won't be the one in the stories who's unable to function while waiting for my prince to come.

No comments: