Tuesday 4 October 2011

It's a Small World After All

I attended another career workshop this morning, where I soon discovered that the facilitator happens to be the sister-in-law of a couple of my cousins. This isn't the first time I've made a small-world discovery in a career workshop. The son of another guy who attends used to go to my squadron once upon a time. Little things like these reminded me of a short essay I wrote back in February for a glorified year book that was being put out by Mohawk College. So, in spirit of that, I share with you now the original essay that I had written. A compressed version can be found in Mohawk College Alumni Today 2011 on page A243.

It's a Small World After All

I know you’ve heard the phrase before, the one, “it’s a small world.” Little did I realize just how true this phrase could be.
            
 To be honest, my post-secondary experience didn’t actually start with Mohawk. I had originally moved from Southern Ontario to Thunder Bay to study aviation at Confederation College, better known as Confed.
             
 “Small World” experience number one: I was living in residence, and I learned that one of my Residence Advisors had actually grown up a few minutes away from my home. Yep. My R.A was once my neighbour, and I know exactly where her old house is.
            
 “Small World” experience number two: When I was seventeen, I was fortunate enough to learn how to glide (fly airplanes without engines) at a flight school a couple hours away, compliments of a scholarship from my now-former Air Cadet squadron. I had heard stories of a former flight student who had to make an emergency landing, and ended up dumping his glider in a bull pen that was outside the airfield. Well, that pilot happened to be one of my classmates, and he soon became one of my friends. He was quite amused to learn that he was glider school legend.
            
 But, alas, my time in aviation was to be cut short, as I’d been defeated by my two kryptonites, math and physics. So, I changed programs, and I spent my second semester focusing on my other love: letters and words.
            
 After that semester ended, I moved back home, spent the summer working, took a trip to Germany, and when January came, I was back in the classroom. This time, I was giving the Writing for Publication certificate at Mohawk College a try. Once again, my world became a wee bit smaller, much to my amusement.
            
 “Small World” experience number three: I was attending my classes, and one night, one of my teachers makes mention of my hometown, along with a tidbit of information that only a member of my community would know. If you guessed that he was once a member of my community, you’d be correct. The best part? Once upon a time, that teacher attended elementary school with my uncle.
             
 “Small World” experience number four: There was a girl in two of my classes whom I had become fast friends with. In her words, “we bonded over mutual annoyance.” Well, the idea of six- degrees of separation was thrown out the window and was replaced with two because it turned out that I went to school with her cousins while growing up, and those cousins also happen to be neighbours with my sister’s best friend.
            
 By this time, you’d think that the world couldn’t get to be much smaller. I went through a couple of part-time jobs before landing an awesome contract position. By this time, I’d graduated from Mohawk with my writing certificate, and started work on my Bachelor of Arts in English from Athabasca University via correspondence. No, I didn’t get a long-lost relative or community member as a course tutor, but there’s still time. No, the gods would have a sense of humour with my job instead.
             
 “Small World” experience number five: I’d applied for a contract position at one of the local steel mills, and was fortunate enough to be offered a job, which I’d readily accepted. Awesome. The funny part? I was sent to work in the same department as my dad, and no, it wasn’t planned. It just kind of happened that way. I swear, I’m telling the truth! I couldn’t make this stuff up if I tried!
             
 “Small World” experience number six: I sat in a classroom twice a week with the friend of a co-worker.
            
 “Small World” experience number seven: I probably met one of my co-workers when I was in high school and didn’t even know it, as his daughter used to play hockey with one of my closest friends, and I’d sometimes go and watch her games.
             
 You often hear that you just never know who you’ll meet on your journey through life. Perhaps those people will also be separated from you by two degrees. So, to those of you who I’ve met thus far, thank you for making the journey interesting. And those people would be:

My friends, for the endless amusement and inspiration.

My family and peers for their guidance, past, present, and to come.

And

The Slitter “B” Crew for being patient with me, and tolerant of me while I do my homework between coils, and for encouraging me in the best way you know how. Yes, my name is spelled correctly, yes, I’m studying hard instead of hardly studying, and no, I won’t lay off the five-dollar vocabulary.
            
 All the best on your respective journeys, and may your worlds always become a little bit smaller.


Original write date: February 23, 2011

No comments: