Friday 14 October 2011

Geekdom's Glory

I have a confession to make. I am not-so-slowly becoming addicted to The Big Bang Theory. Not the theory itself, but the television show. After all, they're a bunch of geneii who are devoted to the ways of Star Wars and Star Trek, to which I can realate. Well, at least with the sci-fi. I don't have a Ph.D by any means.

Anyways...

I've seen more episodes than I care to count now, and so far, a couple of things for me are for certain. I'm totally jealous of Howard's lightsabre display above his bed (remember, this is coming from the girl who went to Star Wars: In Concert dressed up as Princess Leia), Raj sort of reminds me of my best friend (why watch something loaded with testosterone when you can watch a chick flick instead? Yes, I'm referring to a certain someone's love of Pride and Prejudice the way Raj loves Bridget Jones), and I don't blame Sheldon and Leonard for thinking that Enterprise Captains (William Shatner and Patrick Stewart) are worthy conteders of the Sexiest Man Alive title, though I would have chosen Chris Pine for that one. The other certainty? You can bet I was in geek overload when last night's episode had not one, but TWO TNG actors in it. I must admit, even though I did enjoy the original Star Trek series (Shatner, Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, of course it'd be awesome), I was always a bigger fan of The Next Generation, though both rock my socks regardless. Sure, I've seen Wil Wheaton, better known as that pain in the arse crybaby Wesley Crusher on TNG, in a couple of episodes, but what really put me into geek overload was when Brent Spiner, who played Data, one of the coolest characters ever, cameoed in last night's episode as well. What really amused me was how Brent was portrayed as being a somewhat egotistical bugger as opposed to a loveable android. Who knew Data was a head-in-the-gutter dinktwit? Bloody brilliant! Anyone who's a super dorky geek like myself will surely understand how that was totally awesome.

So the Big Bang gang have already played with Star Trek... The only way they could overdose on geeky awesomeness would be if they incorporated any of the Star Wars cast. My votes are for James Earl Jones (Darth Vader, for the win), Anthony Daniels (C-3P0 versus Sheldon Cooper would be most entertaining), and Mark Hammill (Luke Skywalker. Duh.). Any questions?

No comments: