Sunday 30 October 2011

A Few of My Favourite Things: Martin's Edition

My mum and I originally had a candy run to do this morning (what can I say? My friends and I ate all the candy on Friday during my birthday film fest), but we decided to hit up Martin's as well. After all, come 5 o'clock tomorrow (Oct. 31), Martin's will be closed for the season, and it won't open up again until the strawberries are ready in June.

We went with the intention of getting apples. That was it, but such wasn't the case when we arrived. You see, they had a sign outside of the store that said, "SALE! GROUND BEEF! $2/ POUND!" Interest peaked? I think so, especially since we ran out of the beef from my cousins a while ago!

Once inside, we found the apples we had come for, along with a few other goodies that we would have otherwise missed out on. What sort of goodies, you ask? Red potatoes, which we won't see again until next year, and are always so beautiful tasting, particularly with their skins on. I was ecstatic to find cider! I had purchased a jug back at the end of September/ beginning of October, but it came from the grocery store, and was a chain brand. This cider, my friends, was straight from the farm! Oh baby! I looked on the whiteboard behind the counter, and I noticed that they also had roasts. While the girl went in the back to get our ground beef, mum cracked open the freezer out front, and found the last beef blade roast.

'Tis a good thing we went to Martin's. Had we not, we would have missed out on cider, my favourite autumn drink, roast beef, one of my favourite cold-weather dinners, and real ground beef. Goodness Me tried to convince me earlier in the week that their beef was organic... It was about as fake-tasting as you could get. This meat from a local farm is anything but. And as we speak, I'm enjoying a glass of beautiful, cold apple cider (though I'll drink it hot too). It is everything I hoped it would be.

This concludes "A Few of My Favourite Things: Martin's Edition."

Post script: If you ever want to hit up Martin's, it's located on Highway #56, between Golf Club Rd and Guyatt. I can guarantee that you won't be disappointed. And if you are, there's either something seriously wrong with you, or it was a bad season, plain and simple.

No comments: