Tuesday 18 October 2011

Thunder in the Grand

My mother and I went to Caledonia today to pay my great gram a visit. After about an hour, we decided to leave, and as the day was still fairly warm and sunny, we decided to hit up the drive-thru at the local DQ.

After we were given our cones, mum parked us along a side street so we could safely eat. While we were finishing up, mum says to me, "there's a gallery near here that I've been wanting to check out. If you can walk and eat, do you want to wander over?" We meandered on over, and wandered in, hoping that it was still open, to see what there was to see. It's quite an interesting little gallery. If you don't know what one I'm talking about, it's the Grand River Gallery on Argyle Street. It's about the size of our living room and kitchen put together, and it both showcases local artists, as well as sells art.

Mum and I wandered to the back left corner, where there's a wall showing about 20-30 pieces of art, with a sign that reads "Genuine Fakes". The owner, having recieved the proper permission (I don't know the technical terms, as I'm not an artist), reproduces quality prints of the Group of Seven's work, but instead of being very two-dimensional, and on your typical photo paper, something more along the lines of canvas is used, making them look more like the paintings they are. There was one in particular that caught my eye. It's by J.E.H MacDonald, and it's called "Layton's Lake". Though the lake is actually in New Jersey (thank goodness for Google), the picture itself reminded me of Thunder Bay.

When I went to school in Thunder Bay, I lived in the residence, which had a river running along behind it, along with a path for walking and biking. I used to walk the path along the river into the city, and on the way back, to go with the river view, I'd see Mount Mackay in the background. MacDonald's "Layton's Lake" is very similar to the view I had in Thunder Bay.

I'm not speaking on behalf of everyone who's ever been to the Bay, but for those who have, they might just see the resemblance as well.

Lately, I've been pining for Thunder Bay. No, I don't miss the cold, but I do miss its beauty. Thanks to the Grand River Gallery, I have something similar to keep me from missing Thunder Bay so much. Now if I can only get my hands on a copy of "October on the North Shore, Lake Superior" by Arthur Lismer...

1 comment:

Chantelle (Tilly) Wark said...

I was mucking around on Google, and though there is a Layton's Lake in New Jersey, there also appears to be one in Saskatchewan. You'd think the one in Canada would have popped up first, not the one in the States, given the country I live in. I suppose the one in the US is more popular. Who knew?