Saturday 13 October 2012

The Light

At the end of Fletcher Road, where it meets with Rymal, there is a new stoplight. By no means is this light particularly exciting, but I'm very glad it's here as it's long past due. Many people don't realize how dangerous that particular intersection can be, and yes, it has caused at least one fatal accident.

When I was in elementary school, I had a friend who I'd consider a recess buddy. She was a grade below me, so we were never in the same class, but that didn't mean anything. Everyone, no matter what grade, would interact with one another in some way. One day, about seventeen years ago, was thick with fog. My recess friend and her family were at the end of the road, and went to make a left hand turn. Because the fog was so thick, they didn't see the truck coming. My breaktime playmate was killed in the accident.

To have to wait nearly two decades for a set of stoplights to be put in strikes me as a bit of a jab. That accident should have caused them to be put in much sooner. After all, spotting a bright red or green light in the fog is much easier than a car. When the new surveys were going in, and their light was installed immediately, that just rubbed salt in the wound. But at least we have one now.

To those who might be annoyed by the new set of stoplights, please don't be. I'm very glad they're here. So we have to stop and wait now in all directions. Who cares? I feel better now that they're here, and much more comfortable with making left-hand turns at the end of my road. Better late than never, I suppose.    

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up in the area too. Yes, that has always been a bad intersection. Highland and 20 took decades to get a light as well. So many died there. It didn't get one until the new homes went up too. It was bad back in the '50's. Why do we have to wait until the population grows while people have to die?

LauraDynamite said...

Wow Goose I didn't know about that, that's terrible! If her family had an accident there I doubt they were the first, they'd probably had previous accidents and still probably only did something cause of those new developments - if those hadn't gone in, it probably still wouldn't be there.