Sunday 14 October 2012

Why I Do This

Yesterday night, while I was out celebrating a friend's birthday, a discussion occurred, and a part of it was around a post I'd written this week, "An Unfair Price to Pay," which was about the death of Amanda Todd. Many views were given, and just as many questions and observations were raised. It was a fascinating discussion, and I was glad to be a part of it. I felt a small pride knowing that a piece I had written was part of it as well.

Upon the conclusion of the Amanda Todd anti-bullying conversation, I was asked by another guest why I write, and what about. As you are likely aware, I want the A Paper Voice audience to be left thinking, or feeling something, about what I've written. It's important to me to provoke thought instead of being mindless, and for all of you to be able to connect somehow to the words I've carefully strewn across the page. I write for the love and the joy of it. To me, type across a screen, or taking pen to paper is an art form that people don't take enough advantage of. We live in a country where we are all able to be educated without fear of persecution, we are able to think freely, and speak our minds safe in the knowledge that we won't have someone wanting to throw acid in our faces, or shooting us in the back of a classroom. Though many would rather say nothing, I choose to take full advantage of this right, this freedom, and use it to its full potential. And those who don't have the right are daring to do it too.

How many of you have heard of Malala Yousafzai? I've seen her story on my Google Reader, and also on the Facebook pages of my former teachers. She's a teenage girl in the Mid East who was shot earlier this month for wanting an education. A terrifying thing, this need to learn, especially as a girl. After all, how often have we all heard the phrase, "knowledge is power?" Here's someone who would risk anything just to get an education and speak her mind, while the fortunate ones on this side of the world don't want to bother. It's disgusting.

Why do I do this? Because I can, for the love, the need, and the right to do so. Let's all be a little more appreciative of the rights and freedoms that we have. Speak your minds, dare to learn, explore the limitless boundaries of knowledge and free speech. After all, there's one young girl out there who was shot daring to have them.

No comments: