Friday 16 December 2011

On the Tenth Day of Christmas...

...I was able to say that I got all my shopping and wrapping done today!

I'm done! Finished! No more shopping until next year! Woo hoo! Granted, what made my life easier was half of the stuff I purchased were gift cards that I sent through the mail. That truly was a saving grace. Also, I did a bunch of my shopping when I was in the Dominican last month. So I really didn't have much to purchase when I got back to Canada.

I've always been one of those people who wants to get the shopping done and over with. I hate leaving it to the last minute. My dad is famous for leaving everything until Christmas Eve Day. Yes, he only has four people to shop for, but still, I'd go crazy! That being said, he's always come through, and got us some really awesome stuff. A few years ago he got me a set of Kiss action figures (they're still in the box, on display on my cabinet), two years ago was a Star Wars bobble head, and then last year, I was given an awesome collector's item bust of Yoda. Last year, he got Allie a collector's Threstrel from Harry Potter. So even though the thought of leaving everything to the last minute would make me crazy, it seems to work for him.

Christmas Eve is always so busy. As you've probably read in one of my previous posts, these last few years, my friend Omar has come over for some holiday cheer. After he leaves, "Santa," or his Little Helpers have stuff to set up under the tree. As my shopping and wrapping are always done early, I don't have to worry about staying up far too late, wrapping at the last minute. Besides, you want to have enough time to give things a shake or two before the big day arrives. Santa's Little Helper has taken the last two or three years to do her momma's stocking too, and that's always a challenge. The shopping for that has all been done, and has been since last weekend. Getting everything to fit into an over-sized sock is what takes some serious skill. Santa's other Little Helpers probably know what I'm talking about, but for those who have yet to take on such a challenge, it's not as easy as it may seem. It's probably the most pain in the arse puzzle out there.

If you're like me, and you've finished your shopping and wrapping, congratulations! I even had time to put little bows and curly-cues on some of the presents.

I may not be Martha Stewart, but dammit, I can pretend (I say the same thing when I cook, except I say, "I may not be Jaime Oliver"). Also, those little boxes you see were actually made out of extra Christmas cards. They're so simple to make. Fifteen minutes for those three, and they're done.

Sidebar: How to Make Christmas Gift Boxes for Small Items

1) Get your hands on some extra/old/unused Christmas cards. Cut them down the middle where they fold over.




2) This step isn't a necessity, but it'll make your life easier. Grab a ruler, and a pen. Line the "0" up with the edge, and measure in how far you want your fold to be. I like to go with 2cm. Make a small mark, and then draw your straight edge across. Do this with both parts of the now-cut card. Not only will your size be uniform, but drawing your line across scores the card just enough to make the next step easier.

3) Fold inwards along your freshly-drawn lines. Once folded, snip along one edge of each of the squares to make a small flap.

4) Push those edges in, and tape. I like to put tape on both the outside, and inside. It keeps everything a little more sturdy.

5) Slip one part inside of the other (yes, it will be a very snug fit), and ta da! You have a box that perfect for jewelery, and other small items!


As I made this box quickly for demonstration purposes, it's a little sloppier than usual (yes, I'm referring to how you can see the tape sticking out everywhere).

So if you're like me, and you've finished all your shopping, congratulations! If you still have yet to wrap, now you have an idea of how you can wrap those small items! Happy wrapping, and if you still have shopping left to do, good luck!

No comments: