Saturday 10 December 2011

On the Eighth Day of Christmas...

...I chose to end my day at a geriatric Christmas party.

This one is actually true to the day too. On December 8, I was at a blue-hair soiree.

The retirement home that my great gram now lives in had its Annual Christmas Party a couple of nights ago. Each resident was allowed to invite a few people, so my mum, Allie and I all went as great gram's guests. It wasn't your typical party, but it was still enjoyable. There was entertainment, a raffle, food, tons of people, but the dancing was limited. Don't worry, though. There was a kid who was about three or so who did more than enough dancing to make up for everyone (we were all seated except for the dancing kid, and I think his sister).

More often than not, I'm not a fan of country music. There's something about hearing someone twang that drives me nuts. But, on Thursday, it seemed appropriate, and it was bearable. Actually, the guy they had do the singing was very good, so that helped. I don't think I've ever heard so much Johnny Cash and Roy Orbison in my life!

To look at great gram, you might think that she wasn't enjoying herself, but such was not the case. More than once, I spotted her tapping her foot along to the music. She was also looking quite festive. She was wearing her Christmas sweater, and Allie did up great gram's walker for the occasion too. It has a nice garland on it with bobbles, and a couple of crocheted ornaments. Of course, Allie wore her Christmas sweater too, and I had my Oh Snap! t-shirt going on. I also took out my reindeer dealie-boppers, which I managed to somehow get great gram to wear long enough for a picture to be taken.

The home's cook had been a busy little elf too. There was enough food to feed a threshing crew, and it was good. I was a fan of the homemade Belgian cookies. Oh baby! When they're done well, Belgian cookies are a thing of beauty. There were also sugar cookies, butter tarts, peanut butter marshmallow squares, sandwiches, fruit, veggies, crackers. If you can name it, the cook probably concocted it.

Mum, Allie, and I were actually quite surprised that great gram decided to hit up the food portion of the evening. At 98 years old, she wears down rather easily, so to hear her say she'd have something to eat was a shocker. But we're glad she chose to. The activity co-ordinator came by, and snapped a shot of the four of us. I'm curious to see how it came out.

Many younger people would probably think that going to a senior's party is a lame waste of time. But it was for great gram. At her age, we just don't know how much longer we'll have her, even though she's still very healthy with a fairly sharp mind (though her memory's starting to go on her a little bit). So to go, you won't hear any complaints from me. Would you do the same for your family?

No comments: