Wednesday 14 December 2011

On the Ninth Day of Christmas...

...I decided to see a favourite holiday movie.

Actually, I have a few different holiday films on my list of favourites. These are ones that I watch every year without fail (except that I still have yet to watch them. Don't judge me. I'll get to them soon enough). If you celebrate Christmas, you likely have some favourites on your list as well. If you say that you don't, well, either you're fibbing, or you're leading a very sad life. But I digress.

The first film on my list of favourites came out in 1993. If you're a fan of Sharon, Lois, and Bram, then you probably know what it is. As The Elephant Show was a major part of my upbringing, it isn't any wonder that their holiday special Candles, Snow, and Mistletoe makes my list.


For those who aren't familiar with the movie, our trusty musical trio is on their way home for the holidays when their train, the Holiday Special breaks down. Realizing that the only way to get it running again is for them to go out and seek help, Sharon, Lois, and Bram run into an abundance of crazy and magical characters, and in the process, learn the true meaning of the season. By the time all is said and done, I doubt you'll be able to look at The Nutcracker, or brownies the same way ever again. And you'll also be stuck singing all the songs in the film. They're silly, they're fun, and therefore make you feel like a child all over again. As for my favourite part of the movie, that would be the shadow dancing. Don't know what I'm talking about? Go to your nearest video store, Netflix, or whatever method you use for obtaining films, and watch it! If you know a child who loves trains, I guarantee this one will be a hit!

If you're familiar with the old-school stop-motion animation, then you're likely familiar with at least the first two of the next three fave films on my list. First up, Santa Claus is Coming to Town.


I love how Rankin-Bass chose to have Fred Astaire narrate. I've been a Fred Astaire fan for a long time, so he makes this film for me. Certainly, you learn how Santa came to be, which is awesome and all, but some of the best-ever holiday characters are in this film. Topper, Miss. Jessica, Burgermeister Meisterburger is one of the best antagonists ever created, and because of the Winter Warlock, I find myself singing this particular song on occasion:

You put one foot in front of the other, and soon you'll be walking 'cross the floo-ooo-or! You put one foot in front of the other, and soon you'll be walking out the door!

Another one I watch every year is another Rankin-Bass creation. It's the leader of the pack, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.


I must admit, the way I perceive Santa changed slightly with this movie, but other characters made up for this blunder. Herbie slays me with his desire to be a dentist, but with all those candy canes the elves likely consume, it's probably for the best that someone checks their teeth and does a proper cleaning. Yukon Cornelius' character is just pure gold, in every way imaginable. "Nobody wants a Charlie in the Box!" Who doesn't love the Island of Misfit Toys? And thanks to this movie, I learned that Bumbles bounce. Who knew? And, of course, Burl Ives, doing the narration while fulfilling the role of Sam the Snowman, just fills me with all sorts of happy. Then again, Burl Ives is one of my favourite Christmas artists.

The third Rankin-Bass on this list is a favourite of mine compliments of my mother, as it one of her all-time faves too. People who are pretty up on their Christmas flicks generally tend to miss this one, which is really quite tragic. They'd best watch it now, because The Year Without a Santa Claus is awesome!





Santa is down and out with a cold. He's in no hurry to get better, though, because he thinks no one cares about Christmas anymore anyways. Mrs. Claus (voiced by Shirley Booth, who also narrates the story), is determined to prove to Santa that there are still people in the world who believe in Christmas and good cheer. To help her prove her case, Mrs. Claus enlists the help of two trusty elves: Jingle Bells, the number one elf, and Jangle Bells. Also, if you're not familiar with Ignatius Thistlewhite, or the Miser Brothers, you will be. I have to admit, Snow Miser and Heat Miser are two of my all-time favourite Christmas characters. When I hear their song come on the radio during holiday time, I get filled with all sorts of happy and good karma.

I must admit, I'm not a fan of Charles Dickens. He's too detailed, which annoys me to no end. Also, his work is far too stuffy for my liking. I know, I know, there are a bunch of you who are probably cringing at the thought of me bashing the man who brought the world Ebenezer Scrooge in A Christmas Carol. That being said, there is a particular version that I do enjoy, and it stars our good friend Bill Murray. I can already sense a bunch of you judging me, but if you've seen Scrooged, then perhaps you'll forgive me.




If you're not familiar with this wicked spin, Murray portrays a 1980's version of Scrooge while the television network he heads-up is working on putting together their Christmas special A Christmas Carol. The ghosts are hilarious! I love the present-day fairy ("Oh look! A party! I'm so glad I wore my pretty dress!"). Her antics crack me up every single time. This movie also features Karen Allen, Robert Mitchum, and Alfre Woodard. Classic!

I have one more holiday favourite for you. If you love Shrek, you'll love Shrek the Halls.

It's Shrek. 'Nuff said.

Well, if you've been trying to decide what films to watch this holiday season, at least now you have some ideas. All, except for Scrooged, are kid friendly too (well, I suppose I should leave the decision as to whether or not Scrooged is child-appropriate to the discretion of the adult in charge, but hey, there's some language, vulgarities, and some of the stuff featured can be a wee bit frightening.).

Happy viewing!

No comments: