Saturday 3 December 2011

On the Third Day of Christmas...

...what did I hear? Sounds of holiday cheer.

No holiday is complete until you've had yourselves the sounds of the season. That's right, people. I'm talking Christmas Carols. However, my family's far from ordinary, and, sure, we listen to the usual music, but it's the manner that changes. Whatever do I mean, you ask? Let's just say that since the dawn of time, or at the very least, for as long as I can remember, my mum's favourite Christmas music staple is Mel Torme. He's lounge, he's cheesy, and in the words of my cousin, he's, "the Velvet Fog." Don't believe me? Here's his version of, "Sleigh Ride."
Actually, I have some fascinating Christmas memories involving this man's music. It was approaching Christmas 1992. My mum was el preggo with my sister, and I remember my mum playing this album on tape. The living room was decked out with the Christmas lights, and I was sitting in there playing this penguin game, "Antarctica" on the original Nintendo. Yep. I think back to being five years old. Crazy, I know.

Of course, some of the best music was by children's entertainers as well. I can't have Christmas without Raffi. Sure, the big holiday song of his that people are going to think of is, "Must Be Santa," but that's not my fave. I will always have a love for his song, "Old Toy Trains."

There's just something about it that's beautiful. My mum and I still make a habit of listening to his Christmas album every year. What better time to be a child all over again than Christmas?

For me, I must have myself some Dean Martin come this time of year. He may not be the Velvet Fog, but he can still croon, and make me long for snow. I can't get enough of his version of, "Baby, It's Cold Outside." Yes, other people have done this song, but there's just something about Dino that makes me say, "oh, yeah, it's holiday time, baby!"

Smooth, Mr. Martin. Very smooth.

One of my favourite Christmas CD's is Yule B Swingin'. Oh yes. It really is as cheesy as it sounds, but I assure, it's awesome. It's all old school swing and jazz music, with all the greats, like Dean Martin, Ella Fitzgerald, and Louis Armstrong. I'm also partial to, "Dig That Crazy Santa Claus," by Ralph Marterie, and, "What Will Santa Claus Say (When He Finds Everybody Swingin')" by Louis Prima.






If you've seen the stop-motion animation version of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, then you likely know who I'm about to mention next. If you're still clueless, I'll give you a hint: He was the snowman narrator. Need another one? He sings one of the best Christmas songs EVER! Still lost? It's Burl Ives! "Holly Jolly Christmas" is one of my faves. I mean, it's Burl Ives. You can't go wrong there.


Normally, I'm not a big fan of the religious music, but when it's the old-school people who my grandparents or great gram would have listened to, suddenly, it becomes one of the most beautiful sounds of the season. I must confess, "Little Drummer Boy," annoys me to no end. I can't put my finger on it, but something about it makes me crazy... Unless it's the version by Bing Crosby and David Bowie. It's the only version I'll listen to. You can never go wrong with Bing, and David Bowie is one of my all-time favourite musicians. Put the two together, and you get pure magic.

I just watched this, and it gave me chills. but that happens to me every time I hear this duo. As I said, it's just pure magic.

Now we all have our favourite holiday films. I have two that I must watch every year without fail. The first brings back so many childhood memories for me. If you're roughly my age (twenties), then you'll likely know exactly who and what I'm about to talk about. Candles, Snow, and Mistletoe with Sharon, Lois, and Bram. The first song from that movie that I love more than anything is, "Don't Bring an Elephant (to a Family Meal)."Actually, the only song I love more is, "Candles Long Ago," which, believe it or not, wasn't for Christmas, but for Hanukkah. Bram's Jewish, and that song was added for his faith. the shadow dancing is still my favourite part to this day. Since I'm having issues isolating video (mainly since I really don't know how to do it), you'll either need to see if your local library has the movie, or you can find Candles, Snow, and Mistletoe on Youtube.

Another film I'll watch without fail is The Year Without a Santa Claus. Four words: Snow Miser and Heat Miser.

I love, love, LOVE the Miser brothers! They behave just like Allie and I.

Sometimes, you hear a song, whether it be on the radio or television, and you just don't know what it is, let alone who sings it. Such was the case for me a couple of years ago with a Telus commercial that I saw on the television. I later found out that the song was, "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" by Gayla Peevy.

Last year, my mum was mucking around online, and she came across a light-up hippo in a tutu, which she promptly showed to me. I knew right then that I wanted a hippopotamus for Christmas. She kept telling me it wasn't going to happen. I began to sing the song. Constantly. I made her crazy, and she kept saying to me, "no, I'm not getting you a hippopotamus for Christmas... Dammit!" Now go back to last year...

I can see me now on Christmas morning creeping down the stairs. Oh what joy and what surprise when I opened up my eyes to see a hippo hero standing there!

That's right, everybody. Santa came through for me even though my mother said no. I got a hippopotamus for Christmas after all. Go ahead. Be jealous.

Another occurrence last year was my introduction to the Trans Siberian Orchestra by one of my now-former co-workers. The first song he had me listen to was, "For the Sake of Our Brother." It's heart-wrenching, beautiful, chilling, incredible. And to think it's not the full-blown orchestra. For that, I suggest, "Wizards in Winter."


I'm almost done, I promise! Just a few more holiday music staples, and I'll be finished.

There's a song that whenever it comes on the radio, I can't help but crank it up, and rock out. If you're not familiar with Bruce Springstein's version of, "Santa Claus is Coming to Town," you will be now. It's pure rock and roll. But it won't be the same, though, since Clarence Clemons, the genius behind the saxophone, passed on earlier this year. So let's all hope that when he went to join that rock band in the sky that he finally got his new sax.


 Everyone loves Charlie Brown. Even more people probably love Snoopy. It's for this reason that I must include The Royal Guardsmen, "Snoopy vs. the Red Baron (Snoopy's Christmas)." Also, it doesn't hurt that I have an undying love for aviation, so that ties in well, doesn't it?


At long last (I think), I have the best Christmas song EVER! Well, maybe not for everyone, but my dad, one of my former co-workers, and a friend of mine with the same name as who I'm about to mention will be most pleased and proud of this choice. Yes, I still know all the words. Yes, I know it borders on vulgar, but it's just so damn epic. That's right, everyone. I'm leaving you all with, "Fairytale of New York" by The Pogues.


Kirsty McColl has since passed on as well, unfortunately, but thankfully she had the chance to do this song because it's epic. I hate when people clean up, "Fairytale of New York." The fact that it's a bit rude is what amuses me so, and makes it awesome.

Oh! I just realized that there's one more song that I must add. Band Aid's 1984 version of, "Do They Know It's Christmas?" I don't think I require any explanation for that one.

I don't know if it's good, bad, pathetic, or awesome, but when I watch the video, I can ramble off the names and bands of so many of the contributing artists without consulting a list. I tried asking myself if that ought to scare me, but I was too afraid to answer.

So there you have it. My sounds of the holiday season. Don't worry, I still like to listen to all the classic favourites, but I do enjoy the ones off the beaten path too. I hope you enjoy all of these as much as I do. Happy Holidays, everyone!


Videos compliments of Youtube.

No comments: