Saturday 17 March 2012

A Few of My Favourite Things: Drinking Song Edition

First and foremost, I'm not a big boozer. I drink on occasion, but not often, and even rarer still, I'm left feeling absoloutely horrendous. Just so nobody gets any misconstrued views of me.

That aside...

It's St. Patrick's Day, everybody, and you know what that means! For one day a year, everyone is Irish (even this purebred Canadian)! Of course, St. Paddy's means wear your green, bust out the Irish Ales, and belt out a good ol' drinking song. I must confess, though, I've never really participated in St. Patrick's antics, with the most I usually do being wearing green (I think I only own one green shirt, but I think I have a couple of green dresses in my closet). So I'm trying to make up for my lack of March 17 awesomeness by writing in green, and sharing with you some of my favourite songs that I'm certain will be heard in all the pubs tonight. And if they're not, well, that would really be quite tragic as they truly are awesome. 

Now what would an Irish holiday be without a good Irish band. I think you know where I'm going with this one... That's right. You can't have St. Paddy's without The Pogues.

So to start you off, I present to you The Pogues, "If I Should Fall From Grace With God"


 I can't leave you with just one Pogues song though. That would be a sin! Another favourite of mine that they do is "South Australia" (I know, I know, Australia has nothing to do with Ireland... or if it does, I never received the memo... but it's such a fun, crazy song).


Don't worry. I'll give you all another one from these crazy Irish boys. 

Sidebar: When I used to work at ArcelorMittal Dofasco, there was a guy on my crew, who was Irish, and one night, back in December...2010, I suppose it was... we found ourselves singing The Pogues' "Fairytale of New York." The only reason why that one's not going on this list is because it's the wrong damn holiday! However, if he were to read this, I'm certain he'd be pleased to see that his Irish boys were the first, and most prominent, on my list of St. Paddy's drinking songs.

Ok, so here's the last one I'll give you from The Pogues (What can I say? I have a couple of other bands that are in dire need of mention).

The Pogues have a couple of medleys that I do enjoy. The first medley consists of "The Recruiting Sergeant," "The Rocky Road to Dublin," and "The Galway Races."


Ok, I lied. I'll give you one more. Here's the "Battle March Medley." Don't let the slow start fool you...


Aside from, "Fairytale of New York," I hadn't listened to The Pogues in ages. A couple of years at the very least. Thankfully, St. Patrick's Day (and A Paper Voice) remedied that for me! 


Actually, the entire Pogues album If I Should Fall From Grace With God is fantastic. You can't go wrong with it.

Have you ever heard of the Dropkick Murphys? If not, you're going to get to hear them now! Their music is the same style as The Pogues, but on acid. The Dropkick Murphys are insane, but they're epic. 

I'd heard of the Dropkick Murphys for the first time about five or six years ago when I was living in Thunder Bay. I was hanging out in my friend's room the one night, and he had their music cranked. Then a few years ago, my mum and I borrowed their music from the library (I don't know how to download... don't judge me...), and thought it was pretty fantastic. It was when the 2010 Olympics were going on, and one of the Coke commercials featured the song, "I'm Shipping Up to Boston." Think you don't know the Murphys? You'll know them by this:

I love the beat of this one. I kind of makes me want to grab a Magners (an Irish cider as I'm not big on beer) and dance.

Hmm... What's another good Dropkick Murphys song to get your St. Paddy's mojo going??? I know! 

Now presenting the Dropkick Murphys, "Your Spirit's Alive."


Epic!

Now I understand that St. Patrick's Day is all about being Irish, but here in Canada, we have our own Celtic-rock band from the Maritime province of Newfoundland. I've never been to the land of the Newfies, but if the reputation of George Street is anything to go by, oh boy, they know how to have a good time! This awesome Canadian band is Great Big Sea.

I've only ever seen GBS once. I was eight or so years old, and they were playing at the Festival of Friends at Gage Park in downtown Hamilton. Oh. My. GAWD! THEY ARE SO MUCH FUN! 

To start you off here's Great Big Sea doing, "I'm a Rover."


Don't worry, Great Big Sea has songs with the sole purpose being for drinking. That goes well with the 17th of March, does it not?

Why have a funeral when you can have a wake instead, such as when, "The Night Pat Murphy Died"?


Not good enough? What about when ,"The Old Black Rum," gets a hold on you, like a dog wrapped 'round your leg?

 

By this time, you're probably feeling the effects of that old black rum. You're singing, and dancing, and having a grand ol' time. And then you hear it. The mother of all Great Big Sea tongue twisters: "Mari Mac." (good luck)



Oh baby!

Now I know this final song isn't Irish, especially when it's called, "Scotland the Brave," however, I heard this remix for the first time in high school, and for the moment, I think it'll qualify. (Irish people, please forgive me.)

 
 And that, ladies and gentlemen, concludes this edition of, "A Few of My Favourite Things: Drinking Song Edition." 

Happy St. Paddy's everybody! If you're drinking, please be responsible. Don't get alcohol poisoning, and please ensure that you have yourself a safe way to get home, and a safe place to stay (no passing out on the street, you hear me?). 

 

No comments: