Saturday 10 March 2012

Review: The Great Gilly Hopkins

I hated this book. Like The Hobbit, my favourite part of The Great Gilly Hopkins was when it was over. Then again, Katherine Patterson wrote another book that I despise (and proudly never finished) called Bridge to Terabithia.

Granted, I could just be suffering bias with The Great Gilly Hopkins. The author already annoyed me, and the main character, Gilly, has the same damn attitude problem as someone else I know who's almost the same age. Yes, I realize that Gilly's a foster child, and as such, is entitled to having more than a few issues, but I could only stand putting up with so many. Never mind the fact that Gilly was a racist.

So now you have a theiving, lying, inconsiderate, racist, ill-behaved child character who takes great joy in bullying those around her. Some might say that Katherine Patterson's character was successful as an author if her character instilled such loathing in me. I say that the author ought to get her head examined. First, a main character dies in a freak accident in Bridge to Terabithia (I only know that because I asked), and then Gilly. Seems to me that Patterson is a tad touched up top...

The Great Gilly Hopkins annoyed me from start to finish. I was glad that Gilly didn't get a happy ending. We'll just call it karma.

No comments: