Saturday 31 March 2012

Earth Hour 2012

Hey all!

I just wanted to remind all of you that tonight from 8-9 pm is Earth Hour. Never participated? For one hour, to support climate change awareness, shut off all lights, and don't bother with your computer or television. Think 60 minutes without light or some form of technology-related entertainment is too difficult, it's not. The first year my family participated, we lit some candles, maybe had a flashlight or two, and shared Best/ Worst stories. Before we knew it, the 60 minutes were up, and Earth Hour was over.

When I worked at ArcelorMittal Dofasco, I was so disappointed that I was going to have to work a night shift during Earth Hour... That is, until I stated that we were going to have Earth Hour in the (Shipping) Pulpit. I switched off the lights, but I had to keep the computers running (for shipping purposes). Yes, I realize that a single, solitary pulpit in darkness was going to do nothing against a steel mill going full steam ahead, but dammit, I wanted my Earth Hour (and I think my co-worker enjoyed himself too). 

An hour in darkness isn't a very hard thing to do. Besides, you might just have fun finding an old-fashioned way to amuse yourselves.


Possible Best/ Worst Topics for Earth Hour Entertainment:
-Birthday present
-Christmas present
-Childhood memory
-Thing you did in school
-Vacation
-Embarrassing moment
-Teacher
-Something you witnessed

No comments: