Sunday 1 April 2012

April Fools

Here we are, the first of April, otherwise known as April Fool's Day. I really don't know why or how such a day of foolishness started, only that I remember being a kid, and playing the occasional prank, usually on Allie, and vice versa. But, sometimes, Allie and I would team up, and we'd play a joke that was worth remembering... Like this one.

We have a cousin who is former military, though he was still in the Army at the time Allie and I dared to pull this prank. At one point in time, our family used two coffee makers, but one of them was for tea. My cousin had spent the night, and forgot that it was April Fools. Allie and I got up, as we had school that day, and offered to make his coffee before he got out of bed. So she and I went downstairs, and for some reason, my memory tells me that the coffee and tea were already made and in their pots. We took a small pitcher out of the cupboard, poured the coffee into it, poured the tea into the coffee pot, and then poured the coffee into the tea pot. We poured some "coffee" into a mug, added sugar, added cream, and waited. I'm not sure if my cousin was a tea drinker at the time (I don't even know if he does to this day), but I can honestly say that he was pretty darn disgusted when he went to take a swig of coffee, and he ended up with a mouthful of tea instead. April Fools.

Omar, you might remember this one...

In grade six, my teacher foolishly decided that he'd leave the classroom for a few minutes and allow the class to play whatever pranks they wanted on him, just so we could get it all out of our systems. Good for him, giving us the chance to get it all out, but he stupidly left his Tim Horton's coffee in the classroom. One of the guys in my class had a bag of black jellybeans, and he slipped a couple into the teacher's coffee. So, after our ten minutes or so was up, the teacher came back in, and looked for the obvious pranks, like stuffing bits of chalk into the erasers. Satisfied that he'd found everything, he picked up his coffee, and went to the board to start the day's lesson. Just imagine the look of disgust and horror and anger when he went to drink his coffee and discovered that it had been tainted. Yeah, the rest of that day was pretty miserable. You see, that coffee was supposed to be his first of the day, and when he couldn't drink it, oh man, was he ever pissed off. But, I think he admitted that it was a pretty good prank, he was just going to be cranky to us for the rest of the day. Totally worth it though.

And there you have my two biggest April Fools memories. Happy pranking, everybody!

No comments: