Thursday 5 April 2012

Review: The Hunger Games (Film Version)

Last night, my guy and I went to see The Hunger Games. He's read the trilogy, while I have yet to do so (it's on my list of books I'd like to read, but seeing how I still have some books left for my kid lit course, HG has to take a place at the end of the line). However, even though I have yet to read the books, between the boyfriend, and Omar, I knew the characters names, who Omar was rooting for, and I had a pretty good premise of what the books were about, aside from tidbits I'd hear in the news, or stumble across online.

I have no problem admitting that I liked the movie, and that I thought it was really well done. I also liked when I was told that it stayed pretty true to the book. I have a general dislike of films that choose to stray from the original novel. The film could still be good, but I'd be left with a bitter feeling that it wasn't as true to the original as it ought to be.

The characters were strong-willed, and I found them to be believable. Katniss, who volunteers as Tribute at the District 12 Reaping in place of her sister, thinks only of Primrose, her sole motivation to come out of the games alive. Peeta doesn't want to be owned, and decides that if he is to die during the games, he wants to at least be himself. And one of the younger characters, whose name I can't remember, despite being terrified, is still clever, and knows that if she sticks with Katniss, she might have a chance to survive.

Yes, I realize that a novel-turned-film about adolescents who fight to the death so the victor's home district can have food to survive is disturbing. That in itself is enough to potentially turn people away. But the story, and how the film was layed out, the action scenes, the struggle to survive were well done.

I must confess, though, there was one part of the film where my terrible sense of humour came through. One of the characters is dying, and she asks Katniss to sing to her. Though Katniss sang some other song, I was so desperately waiting for her to sing "Soft Kitty" (if you've ever watched The Big Bang Theory, you'll understand the reference). When I leaned over to my date, and said that I was waiting to hear "Soft Kitty" he couldn't help but laugh himself because he was thinking the exact same thing.

Overall, I'd recommend seeing this film. It really was a sight to behold, and I can understand why it broke so many records.

No comments: