Tuesday 17 April 2012

Pennies Pinched

For those of you who don't know, Canada, after this year, will no longer be using pennies. They will be going the way of the dodo. But, that doesn't mean you can't put forth some foolish creativity...

I had decided that I should clear out the bulk of the change from my wallet, as it was becoming difficult to zip up, along with heavy. That's when I decided to cater to my curiosity, and with all the pennies in my stash, I decided to try to find one from 2012. If I could fine one, I'd put it away in a special place, so somewhere down the road of time, I'd be able to say, "and this is a penny from its final year of production."

I figured the easiest way to go about such a task would be to return my loonie, toonie, and few quarters back to my wallet, and transfer everything else that had a silver colour to my Uncle Ivan Special (a bank that looks like a septic tank. I know that sounds gross, and borderline disturbing, but man, that thing holds a lot of coins). When my pennies were all that remained, I set about my goal of finding a penny from 2012.

As I was going through, I managed to find a variety from the 1960s up to the 2000s. So, I decided to set myself another challenge: Could I find a penny to match the year of birth for everyone in my house? With that challenge, I was 75% successful. The only penny I need to find to finish that off is one from 1967. All of the other coins from the 60's, 70's, and 80's, I kept. Yes, I know they're pennies, but there's something about them that just made me want to keep them.

When I was almost done my pile of pennies, I found the one I was looking for: A shiney piece of copper stamped 2012.

My goals, for the most part, were met with success. Now all I need to find is that one from 1967...

No comments: