Wednesday 15 February 2012

Not So Anti-Valentine After All

Those who know me could probably tell you that I've often been against Valentine's Day. I've never been a fan of the mush and gush, and besides, I'm of the belief that if you truly care about someone, you should be letting them know on a daily basis, not once a year. Up until yesterday, for as long as I can remember, Valentines Day, when I was still sitting in a classroom, meant that my mum would sneak a small card, and some extra candy into my lunch bag, or leave little miscellaneous notes in random places, like inside my pencil case, or a small, zippered-up area in my backpack. In more recent years, along with my mum's little hidden gems, I'd sit down at night with a snack, and watch The Hour with George Stroumboulopoulous. Not only is he freaking adorable, but he starts off every show with, "I'm your boyfriend." Strombo as my boyfriend? Damn, for not having a Valentine, I think I did quite well!

This year marked the first year in a very long time that I didn't spend my Valentines Day watching Strombo. I hope I didn't break his heart. Truth is, I had someone other than Strombo to spend my evening with, and it was awesome, even though I didn't know what it was going to entail. All I knew was that due to certain circumstances, dinner unfortunately couldn't happen, but I still needed to be ready for six o'clock, and that we wouldn't be doing anything particularly fancy. Seeing how I'm an easy-going, low-maintenance kind of girl, this was no problem for me.

Around six, my Valentine came to the door with a homemade card, and a bouquet of flowers. The card featured Darth Vader, and read, "I find your lack of Valentines disturbing. Be mine," and the flowers are varying shades of purple and white. I can't stop smelling them. They're beautiful.

After finding a vase for my flowers, we left. I was informed that we had a bit of time to kill, and that maybe we'd go wander around Indigo for a bit. Instead, we went for a 15-20 minute drive. At this point, I was pretty sure where we were going to go, but I chose to keep quiet, just because it'd be more fun that way. Sure enough, our destination was the movie theatre, and like I'd secretly hoped, we were going to see Star Wars 3D. Anyone who knows me could tell you that I'm a massive Star Wars freak (as if my Darth Vader card wasn't already a massive giveaway), so I was really excited to go see it in 3D. Yes, I realize it was only Star Wars, Episode I: The Phantom Menace, and the 3D seemed non-existent, however, the pod race was awesome, "Duel of the Fates" was amazing, and I had Ewan McGregor on a big screen. Why go see a chick flick when I could watch a duelling Scotsman instead?.

This Valentines Day was hands-down the best that I've ever experienced... Well, except for when I was about seven or eight at Bellmoore, and my reading buddy gave me a pink carnation. That was pretty exciting too.

I'm still of the belief that if you care about someone, you should be informing them on a daily basis, but to take some time on February 14, do something fun, and enjoy each other's company... I think I could do that again.

Happy Valentines Day, everybody (a little bit late)!

No comments: