Tuesday 7 February 2012

Consider the Following...

It all started earlier today when I was checking my Facebook page, and I saw that Bill Nye, as in Bill Nye the Science Guy, had teamed up with Mr. Fujii of Toshiba, to launch a, "Consider the Following" video in Times Square. Anyone who was a kid in the nineties would know why this is totally awesome, and why I would be really excited. After all, "Consider the Following" was a regular segment on Bill Nye the Science Guy. 


Naturally, watching this segment made me want to watch more Bill Nye. After all, it was one of the coolest shows around, and you didn't even need to have cable to watch it, which is a good thing as I didn't get cable until high school. Thanks to Bill Nye, not only did I discover that, "science rules," but I learned that, "inertia is a property of matter." And yes, I still get really excited when I hear the intro:


This prompted me to think back to some of the other awesome shows I was privy to growing up, and I don't mean Mr. Rogers' Neighbourhood, Sesame Street, or Mr. Dressup, though they were really quite good and educational. No, I got to thinking of the ones  I'd be aching to see on TVO (Television Ontario) when I'd get home from school, Bill Nye aside.

If you're a child of the nineties from North America, it's a pretty safe bet that this show was a weeknight staple:


I remember being addicted to Ghostwriter. I'm certain that if I saw this show now, I'd be thinking to myself, "this is so lame. Why did I watch this," but the memories I have is that it was an awesome, youth-friendly mystery series, where every mystery was broken down into a four-part mini-series. What kid doesn't want to try to solve mysteries with the help of a ghost who writes helpful clues and messages? If you were a child of the nineties, you know that you wished you could solve puzzles with the help of Ghostwriter.

Who's a criminal mastermind with a vast knowledge of geography, and is red all over? Need another hint? I guarantee you'll know the answer within the first few seconds of this next television show theme:


"Tell me, 'Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?'"

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? Oh man, as a kid, this was one of the most freaking awesome shows around! A children's show where you had to solve crimes, it taught us youngsters all about geography, which you had to use to figure out where Carmen Sandiego ran off to, and to successfully bring her crimes to justice. I'm pretty sure that if I were to see it now, I'd also think it was quite cheezy, however, the theme song will ALWAYS be awesome.

There's one other show that I always enjoyed growing up. It was called Round the Twist. It was about three kids, who lived with their dad, a single parent, in a haunted lighthouse. It was a little bit of fantasy, a little bit of horror, but all of it was child friendly. It used to show on TVO, but I don't know how popular it was in North America because it's Australian. Even if you don't recognize the name of the show, if you'd ever seen it, you'd know the intro:


Of course, there are so many other nineties childhood staples, but these were the ones that stood out the most for me, especially after that, "Consider the Following," video.

One last thing I'll say about Bill Nye the Science Guy, before I forget. His show had a segment called, "Way Cool Scientist." I remember hoping beyond hope, and wanting beyond want to see my Aunt Teresa featured because she went off and got her Ph.D in Chemistry (it hasn't been used in a very long time, as in years), so to me, she was a way cool scientist.

Bill Nye, thanks for taking me back to my childhood with your latest, "Consider the following." And for the record, I'm no longer bitter that you never featured my aunt as your, "Way Cool Scientist."

No comments: