Sunday 11 November 2012

11 Days of Remembrance: There's No Place Like Home

I attended the Remembrance Day service at Canadian Warplane Heritage today. Walking through the hangar doors, I took a breath and said to myself (ever so quietly), "it's good to be home." As I had many an Annual Inspection at CWH, does it come as any surprise that it would be another home for me?

As I had more than enough time to spare before the service started, roughly 90 minutes, I walked though many of the aircraft that I'd be surrounded by on those inspections long ago. I could only make my way through half, though, as the other half of the hangar had replaced the aircraft with chairs for today's ceremony. Still, I was able to find the beautiful Stearman that I had the privilege of flying in when I was 18.


When I had finished walking through the aircraft that had stayed indoors, I went back to my seat for a bit. After I'd sat down, I started to think about my first Remembrance Day service at Warplane Heritage.

I wasn't a cadet for very long, two weeks at the most, when 779 Squadron's Commanding Officer stated that he needed cadets to volunteer to represent the squadron at Warplane Heritage's Remembrance Day service. He had letters for the volunteers to take to school stating the importance behind why they'd be missing morning classes.

I wasn't going to go. I thought I was too new, I was shy, and besides, I didn't even have a uniform yet. However, my mother begged to differ, and told me to turn myself around, and go get one of those letters from the C.O. So I did.

I was so shy. I had done myself up as professionally as a 12 year old could manage, but I still looked somewhat out of place. There was a small gaggle of cadets, all of whom outranked me. The squadron Chief was one of those cadets. I had distanced myself slightly from the gaggle. I didn't know if I'd belong or be accepted. But then I heard the Chief say, "where's the little one?" He turned around, and there I was. I was asked why I wasn't joining the group, and without much say, a couple cadets shuffled over, and made space for me to join them. Ever since, uniform or not, I've tried to make my way out to CWH for Remembrance Day.

As always, the service was moving and thought provoking. The guest speaker, though, he was someone to be admired. No, he wasn't a war hero, or a big-shot fighter pilot. He was an author who's doing what I"m trying just as hard to accomplish. His name was Ted Barris, and he shares the stories of veterans.

So much of what he was trying to instill in people is what I try so hard to do myself. He wants to help keep the memories of our veterans alive. He would interview them, or have a casual conversation. The speaker would try to get them to discuss that which many have tried so hard to bury. He wouldn't pressure them per se, but the veterans would eventually speak about things they had experienced that they really didn't want to talk about.

There was one thing he did, though, that's equally important. He reminded everyone to remember our veterans of today, the men and women who served in Afghanistan. Like me, he believed their stories and experiences are also too important to forget.

When Mr. Barris was finished speaking, I was left with a feeling of hope, hope that I too can accomplish that same goal: Encourage people to not only thank a veteran, but to ask them about their experiences, to remember our vets of both the past and present, and to never let their memories fade. Such a long way to come, from being a shy cadet at my first service to now wanting to get up and make similar speeches like those of Ted Barris.

Those brave men and women... They not only fought for our freedoms, but also for our future. After today, I now hope that I can have a future like that of Mr. Barris where I share the stories of the past, and remind everyone of the present. After all, it's the least he or I can do to thank all veterans.

And so concludes the 2012 edition of 11 Days of Remembrance. Please don't forget to peruse the November 2011 edition. Most important, though, I'd like to say thank you to all veterans, past, present, and to come. You have all made this Earth a better place.


No comments: