Monday 5 November 2012

11 Days of Remembrance: The Torch, Be Yours to Hold It High...

Most of you probably don't know why I write an 11 Days of Remembrance miniseries. Yes, it's true I'm hell-bent on endorsing Remembrance Day, but I write this series for another reason.

Our veterans of the Second World War are getting older now. I believe all those who served during the First World War have since passed on. Some day, a day that I wish would never come, there will be none left, especially since our ones from WWII grow fewer by the year. They will all be gone, and I fear that people may be left to question what we wear poppies for. I write this series to try to keep the memories and stories of our veterans alive.

With that, I ask you this one, small favour. Help me take up the torch. Talk to a veteran. Hear his or her stories, memories, and share them with your friends, family, anyone who you can sit down for a few moments. By sharing their experiences, we can help keep their memories alive. Given all that they've done for us, it's the least we can do for them. Don't let people forget why we wear the poppy.

I would love to hear any tales or memories that you might have. I'll pass them along the way I share the ones that have already been told to me. Let's keep those memories alive!



For more, please refer to my original 11 Days of Remembrance miniseries from November 2011.

No comments: