Tuesday 6 November 2012

11 Days of Remembrance: Ever Humble

I made my way to Limeridge Mall this evening. I was originally on an earring hunt, but I detoured when I came across the veterans' poppy table. My priorities shifted, but I doubt that's a shock.

Nobody appeared to be stopping, but I did. As I'm prone to doing, I held out my hand to each of them and said thank you. They gave me a kind smile, and mentioned how no one really says anything to them. Sure, people pick up poppies, but those two short words seem to be far and few between.

I'd mentioned how I've started writing for a student magazine (Arbitrage Magazine), and that I'm writing a Remembrance Day piece. I had asked if they could share any of their experiences. Share they did.

One of them told me about how on the East Coast, how interesting things could be whenever a submarine surfaced. He had said that the people on the subs on a few occasions were ecstatic to be headed to Northern Ontario to the POW camps. How bad must war have been that those fighting were rejoicing camps? But, as the other veteran had pointed out, the prisoners took comfort in the fact that they no longer had to fight, and if they were in a Canadian camp, they were guaranteed to eat, and be out of harm's way.

When they had finished sharing a tale or two, we ended up discussing my cadet days, along with our ties to the 447 Wing. We spoke of the former Wing president, Rev. Canon Kristine Swire, and how the new Wing is nice, but without the flag room, it's just not the same.

At the end of our conversation, which seemed to gain a small audience at times, I stuffed another donation in the poppy box while they made certain to add to my hoard. I thanked them yet again for sharing their experiences. They thanked me for listening.

My earring hunt may have been a bust, but a conversation with a couple of humble heroes... Now that is worth more than its weight in gold!

For more, please refer to my original 11 Days of Remembrance miniseries from November 2011. As well, be on the lookout for my Remembrance piece on the Arbitrage Magazine site, www.arbitragemagazine.com.

No comments: