Wednesday 6 November 2013

11 Days of Remembrance: Protesting the Poppy

Some people really need to learn the meaning of respect, especially towards our veterans and Remembrance Day. I realize that people are against war, and I can understand that, but I highly doubt those people actually understand the full meaning of the eleventh of November.

Once again, the push for white poppies is in full swing. Many who are in favour of the white over the red deem that the white is more symbolic of peace, while the red is too cruel a reminder of war and bloodshed. Perhaps those people feign ignorance, choosing to forget that the price of peace was the cost of war.

I have always worn the red poppy, and I always will. Aside from red being traditional as it's what the legion has always handed out, when I think red poppies, I think of "In Flanders Fields". Considering those fields are full of red poppies instead of white, along with the impact McCrae's poem has had on the world, it really is appropriate that the international symbol of peace-with-remembrance is a red poppy.




However, white poppies don't sadden me as much as the people who choose to protest November 11, especially during the two-minutes of silence. But, despite being familiar with irony, I get the feeling that those who protest don't realize that they are living-breathing definitions of the term.

I know, just like every other Canadian citizen, that we have the right to freedom of thought, belief and opinion. Those who choose to cause a ruckus and amp up the volume during those moments of silence are exercising those freedoms, but they clearly don't understand that the reason why they are able to throw such vile tantrums is because of the old men and women in full dress uniforms and racks of medals across their chests. Had they not fought the good fight, protestors certainly would not be freely protesting.

So this really turned into more of a tangent, but sometimes a Rick Mercer-inspired rant is what's needed. Besides, people much older and more humble than myself were brave enough to endure what no human ever should to grant me the freedom to write such wild ramblings. The least I can do to thank them is keep quiet for two minutes once a year, and wear a red poppy.

 For more, refer to the 11 Days of Remembrance miniseries from 2011 and 2012.

No comments: