Thursday 7 November 2013

11 Days of Remembrance: A Leap of Faith

It's no secret that I'm not particularly big on religion. Perhaps that's not the right phrasing. I have a hard time with religion. I can't justify one over the other, and too much negativity goes on in the world as a result. How many wars have been fought in the name of a deity? This, of course, prompts me to say that if people could put as much effort into getting along as they do fighting each other, this world would be a better place. But that's besides the point, and I'm starting to get off topic.

364 days a year, I tend to question and discuss the whole religious aspect, but on November 11, that all changes. I realize this is going to sound rather bizarre, but I feel closest to God on Remembrance Day. Not Allah or Buddha, but God.

The reasoning is probably rather simple. Our veterans and fallen are the reasons why people can freely choose to believe in and worship whoever or whatever they want. I highly doubt this would have been optional had Hitler won the war, especially since he thought himself to be rather almighty.

My former air cadet squadron, 779 Black Knight in Mount Hope, Ontario, had a couple of Padres during my time there. The most memorable was Kristine Swire. I don't know what stood out more with her; the stilettos, bright red hair, amazing homemade cookies, or her ability to preach her faith without feeling like she was pushing her beliefs on you. Every year at the annual Christmas mess, along with any other squadron event of significance that involved food, she would recite the Airman's Grace.


By Father John W. MacGillivray (deceased)
Lord of thunderhead and sky
You placed in us the will to fly,
You taught our hand speed, skill and grace
To soar beyond our dwelling place.

You shared with us the eagle's view,
The right to soar as eagle's do,
The right to call the clouds our home,
And grateful, through your heavens roam.

May we assembled here tonight,
And all who love the thrill of flight,
Recall with twofold gratitude,
Your gift of wings, your gift of food.

Amen.

Aside from the freedom to believe and the Airman's Grace, what propels my faith the most for a couple hours of the year is the tradition of the Remembrance ceremonies themselves. Every year at Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum, which boasts the second largest Remembrance Day service in Canada after Ottawa, a minister or priest always leads every attendee in prayers and hymns. Honestly, I think I'd feel quite lost in the services if the prayers and hymns ceased to be a part of the day.

Maybe it's because our veterans gave us the right to belief, or maybe it was Rev. Canon Swire, I'm not sure, but whatever it is, once a year I'm given something unexplainable to believe in... A feeling that I really can't justify and have a hard time with every other day of the year... And I'm okay with that.

Am I the only one who makes such a selcouth leap of faith?
 
 For more, refer to the 11 Days of Remembrance miniseries from 2011 and 2012. 

No comments: