Saturday 9 November 2013

11 Days of Remembrance: If You Can Be There

I was on the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum (CWH) site earlier today, double checking a couple of facts for a separate article that I'm writing for the ARB. For reasons that I cannot explain, I chose to follow the link to the piece on Monday's Remembrance Day service. You need to realize just how much I enjoy that service. It's the second largest in the country, I usually meet up with my former cadet officers, and the Lancaster bomber does a fly-by. This year, I'll be missing the service, and that makes me unhappy. Unfortunately, we don't get the day off to commemorate the occasion, and as we're short staffed at work on Monday's, I'll be stuck listening to a service on the radio. But it's better than nothing.

Anyways, what has me particularly unhappy about missing it this year is who CWH's guest speaker is. You know the name as you've heard it many times before: Captain and Reverend-Cannon Kristine Swire. You're all aware of how high esteem I hold her in. I've often wondered what became of her. Is she still at the church she refers to as Castle Greyskull, or is she still with the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry? I could have known the answer if November 11 wasn't a Monday, but sadly I won't.

So this is what I ask of you. If you're in the Hamilton area, and are able to do so, attend the CWH service, and learn for yourself why I respect this woman so much. If you can't get out to a service, this particular ceremony will be broadcast on CHCH tv. The service starts at 1030, but if you don't get yourself out to the museum by 930 at the latest, you'll have a hard time getting a seat. Remember, 2-3000 people attend this particular ceremony. If you do watch or attend, please leave me a comment telling me (and the other readers) what you felt throughout that hour and a half.

Thank you.


  For more, refer to the 11 Days of Remembrance miniseries from 2011 and 2012.

No comments: