Thursday 3 November 2016

History in the Hoard

Those who know me are well aware of my poppy hoarding. For the month of November, proof of this worthwhile addiction is sprawled across the top of my Facebook page in the form of my cover photo:


Well, in the years since that photo was taken, I've purchased more pins, was gifted a coin commemorating the 100th Anniversary of "In Flander's Fields" by John McCrae, but most important, I own a part of a British art project.

A couple of years ago, I wrote a post about this project, called "Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red" (name of both the post and project). In it, I talked about the installment, its goals, and that I purchased poppies. However, I realize two years later that I never did show you the unaltered beauty of these poppies:


Our lives were in the hands of over 888 thousand people between the years 1914-1918. Now I hold the memory of one of them in mine.


No comments: