Wednesday 9 November 2016

"Enlist you Newfoundlanders, and come follow me..."

I catered to my pin hoard today, buying three more pins, and an oversized poppy.

I cherish every single one that I purchase, as I'm certain you're all aware, but there was one that stood out for me this time. It's my Beaumont-Hamel pin, in honour of Newfoundland's Blue Puttees.


At the time of the First World War, Newfoundland was still only a Dominion, and any men who wanted to volunteer to go to the front lines had to enlist with either the British or Canadian military. 

On July 1, 1916, during the Battle of the Somme, the Blue Puttees advanced at Beaumont-Hamel. Over 800 men went into battle. At roll call the next morning, only 68 responded (as per the information with my pin).

I always take a moment to talk to the people behind the Legion table. Today I learned that Newfoundland treats July 1 as a day of remembrance instead of a day of celebration, honouring the memory of those men lost in WW1, especially those Blue Puttees lost at Beaumont-Hamel.

This pin caused a song to emerge in my memory. A Great Big Sea song. It's called "The Recruiting Sergeant," and is about the Blue Puttees. The part that stands out for me is "at roll call next morning, only a handful survived." I can't help but wonder if this is in reference to Beaumont-Hamel.

"...enlist you Newfoundlanders, and come follow me..."



No comments: