Wednesday 5 November 2014

11 Days of Remembrance: Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red

To commemorate the 100th anniversary of the First World War, the Tower of London in England is doing an art project that consists of over 888 thousand hand-made ceramic poppies. Each one represents a British soldier who died between the years of 1914 - 1918. 



The name of this art piece is called Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red. The handmade poppies are creating a moat around the fortress.  When you look at pictures, you truly do see a sea of red flowing around the Tower. The last poppy will be planted on November 11. As well,  they also have an Honour Roll for the public to add names of those who served and fell in their own family.

After November 11, the project will be disassembled.  That said, the poppies are available for purchase with proceeds going to various military charities. Poppy hoarder that I am, I bought two. Don't worry,  though.  Only one is for me. My mum is taking the other.

I'm disappointed that I won't be able to observe this project in person, but at least I'll have a piece of it. And the pictures of the Tower of London with hundreds of thousands of ceramic poppies is pretty incredible. Follow the link below to learn more,  check out the pictures, and perhaps buy a poppy for yourself.

No comments: