Sunday 2 November 2014

11 Days of Remembrance: Disheartened Relief

Anyone with any kind of access to media, newspapers, internet, or otherwise, knows that Canada suffered a double blow a couple of weeks ago. First, Warrant Officer Vincent was ran off the road in Quebec, and then two days later, Corporal Cirillo was shot in the back while standing sentry at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in our nation's capital. In short, people whom I refuse to name, tried to fill us with fear and anguish on our home and native soil.

I don't shy away from my cadet experience. If anything, it can change one's perspective. For me, it was definitely apparent with the shooting in Ottawa. Before anyone takes offence, there's a good reason. By no means am I saying the WO's killing was less tragic, sorrowful, or less capable of leaving an impact. It's just... my former squadron, 779 Black Knight, is in Mount Hope, Ontario, a community that's part of Hamilton. Many of the people I had been a cadet with went on to join some form of military service. Often times, they became reservists. I know of at least two who went on to become Argyles. Yes, the very regiment that Cpl. Cirillo belonged to.

Are you starting to see where my train of thought was headed?

One of my former co-workers texted me about ten minutes before my Wednesday afternoon class was to start asking me if I'd heard about the shootings in Ottawa. I hadn't, but then, I'm old-school pen and paper, so I wasn't glued to an electronic device to tell me what was going on. In my car, the radio mentioned the shooting, but by the time I got home, where the news was already on, that's where I heard "Argyle from Hamilton".

My immediate thought wasn't about my cousin who goes to university up in Ottawa (sorry), but it was, "dear god, was it someone from 779?" Was it one of my former recruits? Could it have been the person who I was a fellow Warrant Officer with, even though he irritated me on a weekly basis? Despite being a first-class pain in the ass, no one, no matter how much they annoyed me, deserves two bullets in the back like that.

One of my friends is a Major in the Infantry. When I saw video of military men in their combats, firearms at the ready, going toward the danger, that's when I remembered that other friend of mine, who I had also been a cadet with, is stationed in Ottawa. I emailed him right away, asking him if he was alright. He was, but like everyone else in Canada, and especially our Forces, he wasn't having a good day. I believe his words were, "everyone I know is safe and sound... not a happy day here, you can imagine." With this, I knew that at least one person came out physically unscathed. But my concern was still far ending. Who was the Argyle?

When I eventually learned that the Argyle killed wasn't anyone I knew from my cadet days, I must admit that I did feel an abundance of relief. I realize how cruel that may sound, but I'm certain I wasn't the only one heaving such sigh. It wasn't an enjoyable feeling, though. Someone- a mother, a sibling, a son- was now going to have to spend the rest of their life without a child, a brother, and a daddy. No matter how relieved a person may be feeling, their heart is going to break.

I watched the funeral procession for Cpl. Cirillo on the local news as he made his way back home to the Hammer. I was alright, holding myself together, but still feeling that disheartened relief. Then, the reporter turned to a couple of older veterans, at least old enough to have been in Korea, possibly old enough for WWII. They were asked why it was important for them to attend the procession for the Cpl. As soon as they answered that it was the least THEY could do, that's when I lost it (it didn't help that their eyes were welling up with tears, and if I see a vet cry, yeah, I'm going to start to well-up myself). We're so used to it being the younger generation showing up, and giving that exact answer, but to hear it from a couple of older vets...

The picture can speak better than the words.

People may be tired of hearing about Cpl. Cirillo and WO Vincent on the news, or maybe even have a similar sentiment toward today's piece. But for the family and friends who lost those two men, their wounds and heartache will never grow tired, despite the relief the rest of us may feel.

No comments: