Wednesday 16 May 2012

A Quick Dessert for a Long Weekend

For those who are unaware, this upcoming weekend is a special one in Canada. It's the May 24 long weekend, also known as the Victoria Day weekend, which I believe started with celebrating Queen Victoria's birthday. The people of this wonderful country get an extra day off work, and yet another excuse to go out and party (but like we really needed one). Perhaps some of you will be like me, and headed off to a potluck this weekend. Don't know what to bring? Here's my tried and true potluck bring-along, and it's very easy to put together: Dessert puddings. Yes, I know that sounds rather pathetic, but before you judge me, hear me out. When I do them, I add alcohol. Sound better? I thought so.

First up, vanilla.

After you've determined how many people are going to be at your weekend party, go out and buy the boxes of Jell-o instant pudding mix, the ones were you add milk, mix it up, and toss the concoction into the fridge to set. As well, go out and buy a bottle of Baileys. When you go to make your pudding, see how much milk it calls for (I think 1 cup for every 4-serving box). Substitute some of the milk for the Baileys. For example, if the recipe calls for 1 cup of milk, make your pudding with 3/4 cup of milk, and 1/4 cup Baileys. Suddenly, you've gone from boring to a bit more elegant. Before you go to pour it into your cups or bowls (I like to get the plastic cups from the dollar store that you might use for champagne or martinis), I like to take butterscotch chips, and put some in the bottom of the glass. Not much, but just enough to be a bit of a fun surprise. After the chips, pour in your pudding. Because I'm awesome, I like to garnish my fancy pants vanilla pudding with some shredded Cookies n' Creme chocolate. Ta da! A fun and easy dessert.

And now for the chocolate lovers...

Very much the same idea as the vanilla, but with a few minor changes. I use Peppermint Schnapps with the chocolate pudding, and since the Schnapps is a higher octane than the Baileys, before I pour in the milk, I pour in a shot of the Schnapps first. So once again, if it's 1 cup of milk for 4 servings, pour in the shot first, and the top up the remainder of the cup with milk. I toss some chocolate chips in the bottom of the glass, and garnish with some shredded milk chocolate.

And there you have it. A fairly simple dessert that most people will enjoy. So if you were trying to figure out what to take to that awesome 24 party this weekend, hopefully this helped you out.  

No comments: