Monday 11 June 2012

A Few of My Favourite Things: Sounds of Summer Edition

Ah summer. The time of year where I overheat far too often, burn way too easily, and crank the tunes. We all have them. The songs that make us want to take a road trip, spend a day at the beach, or stay up all night with a bonfire, a few beverages, and a group of good friends.

My sister, Allie, has been saying that she's going to make a cd for me to keep in my car, one loaded with songs that make us want to turn the volume up high while we take an excursion to our favourite outlet mall, or wherever else the roads lead us. We were reviewing what songs would be worthy of such an honour. The list isn't particularly grand, but it's a start. And if you're in need of a good summer road trip set list and don't know what to add, perhaps this will help to get you started, but before I do, there's a particular summer album that's close to my heart.

When I was a child, during the summer, my mum, sister, often my mama, and I would drive out to Hagersville to the market every Wednesday morning in my mum's old clunker white Dodge caravan. It had a tape deck in it, and I have memories of listening to Billy Joel's Glass Houses there and back. For me, a summer music list isn't complete unless it has a song from Glass Houses. So to start you off, here's the opening track off that cassette tape from my childhood, "You May Be Right".


I can't have a summer music list without the incredible Meat Loaf. In all honesty, his entire rock opera Bat out of Hell is a summer album in itself, but if I had to choose one to put on my summer list, it would be a toss-up between, "You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth (Hot Summer Night)" and "Paradise by the Dashboard Light". As I also associate the latter with Halloween parties, choosing the former as a summer staple only makes sense. Besides, it already has, "summer" in the title.


Rush and Kim Mitchell also scream, "summer", such as Rush's, "Spirit of Radio" (because we all know that the radio is a mandatory summer staple)


and "Patio Lanterns" by Kim Mitchell.


And who could forget the one and only Bryan Adams? Damn, Canada has some seriously kick-ass musicians with some equally kick-ass summer tunes. Naturally, "Summer of '69" would be a mandatory track to have on my summer car cd.


I doubt many people my age (I'm in my twenties) have heard the next summer song of choice, let alone heard of the artist. Otis Redding did a song called, "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay". Pearl Jam did a pretty good cover of it too. I'd post the cover, but I think people ought to hear the original.


The whistling is definitely the most chill part of the song.

You know, I just had the dire urge to add some Phil Collins, post- Genesis. Who hasn't heard, "In the Air Tonight"? If you haven't you were definitely raised by wolves, and I'm going to remedy that right this instant. And if you don't think the drums are epic (you know which part I'm talking about), well, I really don't know what to say, but I'd figure you to be a tad touched...


Of course, Allie has had suggestions with what songs ought to be included. She has a diverse taste in music, and most of it I enjoy, so when she started making suggestions of the more modern kind, I couldn't help but  agree.

To Allie, "Last Friday night" by Katy Perry screams summer.


Neither one of us are fans of Nicki Minaj. For the most part, we find her to be really annoying. However, there's generally an exception to every rule, and Allie's exception is when she was down at the waterfront trail that's outside of Hutch's with a couple of friends rollerblading last summer, and "Starships" was playing. Since that's a valid reason to accept a Nicki Minaj song, I suppose I'll allow it on my list.


Pink might not be my favourite colour, but the singer has song awesome music, like, "Raise Your Glass," which I'm certain almost every person in Canada who's legal will be doing throughout much of the summer.


Of course, we also need some Lady Gaga, Timberland, and 3oh3. First, we're on the, "Edge of Glory"...


...then we wake up in the, "Morning After Dark"...


...and end up, "Touchin on My" (fill in the blank).


I can't believe I remembered the bulk of Allie's suggestions, and forgot about a couple more of my own. I would definitely need some Tom Cochrane. Though it's so cliche, "Life is a Highway" really is necessary.


I never really used to listen to the Dave Matthews Band, but as of late, thanks to my squeeze, I've been listening to DMB quite often. I love his cover of Jimi Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower". His music makes me want to go to a summer music festival, sprawl out on a blanket, and soak up the sounds of summer, the sun, greasy food, and hang out with friends.


I'm certain there are songs that I'm still missing from this list, but it's a start. If you think that there are ones I really ought to add, please, leave me your suggestions in the comments, or click on the "Your Turn" tab, and leave them there.

Here's to summer, everyone!


Videos courtesy of YouTube.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Echo Beach by Martha and the Muffins
This would have to be on Lisa Spencer's summer cd