Saturday 16 June 2012

It's the Airshow!

It's Father's Day Weekend, and in the Hammer, that means one thing: Airshow!

I've been up to the Hamilton Airport in Mount Hope many times to see the airshow, however, given how close my house is to the airport, we also get a pretty good view of the aerobatics from home. The only thing we (obviously) don't get to partake in are the ground displays (unless they no longer exist, which I doubt).

Yesterday, when I was out on my bike, I was lucky enough to hear a most glorious sound. When I looked up, the Royal Canadian Snowbirds were in the air, practicing their stunts for this weekend. I haven't seen the Snowbirds in ages, so to see them yesterday filled me with all kinds of happiness.

 Royal Canadian Snowbirds (picture taken from Google images)

Earlier today, I heard a noise that left a most impressive pounding going through me. The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum is home to one of two Lancaster Bombers in the world that are still capable of taking flight, and when that beauty gets airborne, you can feel the raw power pounding out of it. Sure enough, when I looked up, there was the Lanc, and in tow were two smaller WWII aircraft. The Lancaster Bomber really is a thing of beauty. It's one of my all-time faves.

Avro Lancaster (photo taken from Candian Warplane Heritage website)

As awesome as the vintage WWII aircraft are, I love when the newer (and by newer, I mean post-WWII) aircraft take flight. The CF-18 Hornet will always put a silly grin on my face.

 CF-18 Hornet (photo taken from Google images)

I also really love the sound of the F-14 Tomcat. If I recall correctly, before Peninsulair went out of business due to a lease dispute, the glorious jet that screamed overhead one sunny afternoon to our delight was the F-14. If not, then It was the F-16 Fighting Falcon... But I'm 99% sure it was the Tomcat. I don't know if either of these beauties will make their way to the airshow this year, but if they do, the crowd is in for a treat (and if anyone has sensitive ears, double up on the ear protection).

 F-14 Tomcat (photo taken from Google images)

 F-16 Fighting Falcon (photo taken from Google images)

If you ever get the opportunity to attend an airshow in Hamilton (it's always on the Father's Day Weekend), I highly suggest going. Not only are the aircraft beautiful, but the only other place where you'll get to observe an airborne Lancaster Bomber is in England, so unless you want to travel across the pond, the Hammer is the place to be.

All this talk of the airshow, and bombers, and fighter jets has left me with "Danger Zone" by Kenny Loggins stuck in my head (this is significant because it's the opening theme from Top Gun). So, with that, I leave you with the link to the official video (complete with scenes from Top Gun).


Happy flying!

 



No comments: